66. The barter

He had his lips quivering. "Wh-what?"

She fiddled with her dupatta and evaded looking at him. "I had to. I didn't need magic when we met. But eventually, you began asking questions and doubting my version of the story. I was left with no choice but to use the feeble magic I possess to ensure you never question me, suspect me, or be dubious of my intentions." She heaved a sigh. "It won't be required anymore, though. Despite the power of the spell, you have finally deduced the truth. Some of the credit goes to Ishita and Siya, but," she crouched down to cup his cheeks, "it was your selflessness and courage that broke the barriers of your mind. The way you are ready to do anything and everything for your family and friends makes you more courageous than Raghuveer as well. He was a warrior, groomed to combat. You, on the other hand, are just a normal 21-year-old. That makes you the most chivalrous man I have ever known."

Disgusted he was after her confession, and jerking her hand away was the only natural reaction. "Don't touch me."

She suppressed a sob upon hearing the accusation and distaste in his tone. "I know I wronged you, betrayed you, deceived you. Not once but every moment of every day. I know it. But... but I love my prince so much that I was... I was ready to burn the entire world down in exchange for his freedom." She sniffled when he scoffed. "You will not understand, Rudra. You have never been in love before. Whatever you felt for me was partly because of the magic used, partly because of the affection Raghuveer had for Chitra, and partly because you were attracted to the girl you had seen at the traffic signal. You have no clue what a passionate kind of love does to you. It changes you at an intrinsic level, but you wouldn't know." She gulped and wiped her tears. "When you will truly be in love, you will comprehend what I mean."

He glowered at her. "Fuck off!"

Before she could mollify him further and apologize for the part she had played in rendering their lives upside down, she could sense an army of spirits marching towards the burning ghat. Shivering, she muttered, "Kalavati is arriving." She had her back upright as she stood straighter, peering around herself, trying to locate the billowing red of the veil in the expanse of black embellishing the night sky. Until the red veil came into her line of vision, and out of habit, she bowed in front of the apparition that popped in front of her.

"Chitralekha." Kalavati snickered. "Were you telling your life story to my Raghuveer?"

Rudra's fists clenched, and he sprang up, veering at his spot to take a good look at the lady in red. Hovering a few inches above the ground, she had three apparitions securing her from all sides. Masses of green smoke that wavered with every draft of wind engulfed the spirit.

Shravani cast a furtive glimpse at Rudra. "Your Highness, I will take your leave. Rudra..." She trailed and took a sharp breath when she sensed the glare on her from the erstwhile princess. "I mean... Raghuveer requested to meet me here. He wished to learn more about Chitralekha and you."

The red veil was off with a flutter of the wind. "Ah!" A sinister smirk was etched on the parched features. "You will tell me all about the conversation later on, and you don't need to go anywhere. Stay where you are."

Shravani bowed once again before taking a couple of steps back.

Kalavati allowed her gaze to land on the incensed Rudra. His nose was flaring, and his bloodshot eyes were the evidence of the wrath coursing through his body. His clenched fists had another tale to tell as droplets of blood moistened the dry ground below due to the harshness of the way in which his nails were piercing his palms as his entire body shook out of rage. "Raghuveer," she clicked her tongue, "don't be upset with your friend. She had your best interests at heart. She could've been only your friend and not cast the spell, but she knew how imperative it was for me that at least in this life, you don't develop affection for a witch like Chitra."