Chapter 42: Taehyung

Start from the beginning

His mother loosened a breath on the other side of the phone, no doubt recalling the past.

"It was hard at first," His mother admitted. "But we knew that we would end up together in the end. It was that hope that kept us going. No matter what happens, I believe you will have the ending you want."

"Do you really believe that?"

"I do. I believe my son will get the happy ending he desperately wants." She answered, honestly.

He felt relieved to hear that. The heaviness in his chest felt lightened and his mind felt clearer. Talking about the next step would be difficult but with his faith, he was more at ease.

***

THE DAY EVENTUALLY came to an end. After spending the night at Madeline's parent's house, it was time for Taehyung and the rest of BTS to return to their place.

Taehyung clung to Madeline's hand for as long as possible. The bond was thriving, pleased with their physical contact. He didn't want to leave after spending the whole day with her.

Her brown eyes shone with sadness as she bid farewell to them all individually.

When it came to Taehyung's turn, she plastered a small, soft smile on her face. "I'm going to miss you too," She admitted, shyly.

"Do you promise to see us in two days?" He queried, jutting his bottom lip out.

She leaned in closer. Taehyung could feel his heart hammering in his chest. If it was any other situation, he would yell for one of his friends to call an ambulance, fearing he was having a heart attack.

"I promise," She whispered in an angelic tone.

Oh, my poor heart, He thought to himself, discreetly clutching his chest.

She pried his fingers off gently, sending him a reassuring smile. It pleased him to see that she was becoming more confident around them.

Jimin pulled him away from Madeline and wrapped his arms around her tightly. Taehyung watched one of his closest friends—his soul mate in another life—hug his girl in a tight embrace.

Parting was difficult, especially when he knew that he had to wait two days until he could be with Madeline again. Before he met her, he could never fully comprehend why people struggled to be apart from their soul mates. In his past relationships, he never had an issue with it. But with her, everything was different.

It was as if he was learning how to be in a relationship.

He almost wished there was a guidebook on soul mates.

After returning to their place, Namjoon called a meeting. They all gathered in the lounge and gave their leader all of their attention. Namjoon cleared his throat dramatically and clasped his hands together. He usually acted like this in serious situations, causing Taehyung's stomach to drop.

"What is it, Namjoon?" Jin asked and wrapped an arm around Jungkook's broad shoulders.

"I have to admit something," Namjoon began. His brown orbs then slid to Taehyung. "I eavesdropped on your conversation with your Eomma earlier. I heard everything."

"You did? I didn't even notice you." He murmured, frowning. He thought he was the only one outside. There had been many times when one of them had eavesdropped on the other. They had lived together for so long they were used to it.

"I heard what you said." Namjoon's eyes bore into Taehyung's, conveying understanding.

"What were you talking about?" Jimin piped up, staring questionably at them.

Taehyung released a long breath. Despite wanting to talk about this as soon as possible, he didn't think it would be so soon.

"She asked me when I was coming home. I told her we hadn't talked about it yet."

A few breaths were released.

"So, I thought it was time we spoke about it. We always knew we couldn't stay here forever. Before we bring this up to Madeline, we have to be in agreement." Namjoon, the wisest of the group, declared.

"The hard truth is we'll have to part for some time," Yoongi stated, masking any emotions on his face.

Jimin jumped upright in fright, "I don't want to do that."

"We have obligations to fulfill and she has just started college. Neither of us can move halfway across the world. Not for a while at least. Plus, it wouldn't be fair if either of us asked the other to uproot their life so soon into a relationship." Yoongi reasoned.

"But...we're soul mates," Jungkook mumbled, quietly.

"Think about what would happen if she did agree to move to Seoul. She's not familiar with the culture and she'd be away from her family. She's just turned eighteen. It would be like throwing her into the middle of the ocean," Jin comforted Jungkook in a soft, soothing voice.

"So, what you're saying is we should go back and wait for her to finish college?" Taheyung summarised.

Namjoon nodded his head, "I think that's the best option. It's not like we won't see her. We can visit her during our breaks."

"We obviously can't know what she wants to do until we talk to her but I imagine she'd like to graduate here first," Jin added.

Taehyung pictured what their lives would be like for the next few years. There would be their comeback, concerts across the globe, and short periods of time with Madeline.

Selfishly, he wished she would come back with them. He was sure the others felt the same way deep down. But one thing he was starting to learn as a soul mate was that you couldn't always put your interests first. No matter how desperate he was—Madeline's well-being would always come first.

"I'll talk to Sejin later. He'll probably agree with this solution though." Namjoon told them, rolling his shoulders back.

Taehyung slumped into his seat. When they saw Madeline in two days, they would have this talk. It was going to hurt knowing that they had limited days left.

No matter what, I will always be by your side, He promised Madeline internally. No matter what obstacles they encountered in the future, he would always return to her. Now that he had her, he'd never let her go. 

Eomma - mother 

You can also read ahead for a small fee on Inkitt!