1.13 Tangled in Deception

Rey Zeno peered out of the car window, her expression marked by a frown. A swarm of reporters and fans eagerly awaited the arrival of the candidates and the supreme commander, standing behind barriers on the sides of the red carpet.

The vexing part was the multitude of signs predominantly displaying Dorian's name. Rey turned to her husband, a question etched on her face.
"How did he survive the drug?"

Micah replied, "I don't know. He was supposed to succumb as soon as he fell asleep. I contacted the biologist who concocted it, and he mentioned a probable delay. Regardless, he's slated to die in a few days. Meanwhile, we must maintain the charade of caring for him."

Rey spoke with intensity in her eyes, "Thanks to him, the entire galaxy despises us. Do you realize how long it took me to meticulously shape our reputation? Now they all view that bastard as a victim, thinking he should abandon us."

Micah explained, "That's precisely why we must continue the act until he passes away, or he might remove Aries from his will. Fortunately, Dorian forgave him. It's crucial to ensure Dorian doesn't distance himself from us. You know how easily influenced he is. Despite everything, he still harbors doubts about whether we genuinely care for him or not. You need to maintain composure, no matter how angry you are."

Rey sighed, resigned. "I know. I'll play the role of the perfect aunt."
Micah nodded in agreement.

Aries hurried towards Dorian as he emerged from his quarters, suitcase in tow. He greeted him with a smile.
"Hey."
"Hey."

As they strolled together, Aries inquired, "What happened to you? I didn't see you the past few days."

Dorian responded, "We were far from each other, so it isn't surprising. Besides, it's not like we saw each other during the first few days."

Aries nodded and probed, "How do you feel?"

Meeting Aries' gaze, Dorian questioned, "What do you mean?"

Aries clarified, "I know that your immune system is weaker than other people's, so I can't help but worry."

Dorian assured him, "I'm fine, just have a cough."

Hearing this, Aries' heartbeat quickened with excitement. After confirming that Dorian was still alive, she discussed the situation with her family in the group chat, and his father mentioned a delayed reaction. The fact that he's starting to become sick seemed like a positive sign.

Aries smiled, expressing his relief, "Good, I was worried."

Dorian reassured him with a smile, "I'm fine."

As Damian approached, Aries's heartbeat quickened, and he greeted Damian with a smile, "Hi, Da-Ge."

Damian, with cold eyes, stated, "Don't call me that and leave."

Feeling his eyes moisten, Aries left, choosing not to cry in front of Damian. Dorian not only succeeded in making the entire galaxy hate Aries, but he also managed to turn Damian against him. Aries couldn't wait to witness his impending demise.

Dorian watched Aries run away, smiling. Damian laced their hands and walked with him, cautioning, "Be careful."

Meeting Damian's eyes, Dorian acknowledged the strange feeling of someone being concerned about his safety. He was certain he would never get used to it.
"I will be."

Damian nodded and said, "I'll send a car tomorrow at 6:15 pm."

Confused, Dorian looked at Damian. Damian reminded him, "You said you would spend one night at the palace. I want to introduce you to my father."