The Many Fans of Ainz Ooal Gown

Nazarick was filled with suffering, but not in the way it's predecessors had intended it for.

See, there were many fans who came across Nazarick.

Some were fans of the isekai trope who came across Overlord, thinking of it as another anime to binge. Those fans were quite surprised by the tropes the series casually broke.

Other fans who had stumbled into the fandom had fell down into a deep, deep pit. Manga, light novels, art books, not even the web novel was safe from these freaks. If they could get some new info, canon or otherwise, they were going to get it.

Many had written stories about the anime, involving ideas, self inserts and crossovers, though fanfic junkies would argue that this "many" was not quite enough.

Either way, at one point, these fans had been big for Momonga. Some had "simped" for Momonga, romantically or otherwise, some desired to be with him in Nazarick, some wanted to be him. Who wouldn't, with all of that incomparable power?

(With all of that unconditional devotion?)

Some got that wish. But it was not in the way they intended, for they did not get to come as themselves.

There was much panic, in those first days of their creation, being unable to move no more than a twitch. Those days were later followed by a strange clarity, as there was no need to bother with rest. For most, when their situation finally clicked, with who they were meant to be finally settled in, a new sense of dread took hold.

Those days, while many found they were made with mouths, they were rendered useless in their desires to scream.

In short, almost every noteworthy NPC in Nazarick is an Overlord fan who's been isekaied. Not one of them knows about it, and all of them feel like they're stepping on eggshells around each other.