Chapter 4 - Please Spare Us.

"I can't believe you two talked me into following you here, now we're lost" Jason whispers to me as the two of us and Becca make our way to the west wing of the palace.

It's almost midnight and the three of us decided to go find the room of the princess I'm assigned to, this is only to make it easier for me tomorrow to avoid getting lost and coming late for the start of my shift because Loofy had to make me take the first shift, the short bastard.

"Becca, I thought you said you know these halls like the back of your hand but this is the third time we've passed that painting" I whisper-yell

"I do, It's just that I'm not sure who owns which room, but at least the King's room is further down...or is it this one? maybe we already passed it?" Becca debated as she stopped in her tracks

"Oh boy, oh boy boy boy....we're so dead WE'RE SO DEAD!!" Jason panics while leaning on a wall covering his face with his hands

"Shut up Jason, if we get caught it's going to be because of all your screaming" Becca warns

"You're the one who got us lost, for all we know this could be the Prince's bedroom and we're two minutes away from joining that woman in the dry pits"

"Just calm down and trust me, okay, I'm pretty sure one of those doors belongs to the Princesses."

"Pretty sure? Nah Mimi is so screwed tomorrow morning. Why did you have to go ahead to volunteer now we're gonna be one man short in our squad" Jason whines

"Jason please... let it go, what's done is done and even if I change my mind I'm going to be made Kou-koi food when I inform the prince" I chimed in

"Quiet both of you. You hear that?" Becca cautioned and we all froze to try and listen to what she warned us about.

The sound of a door swinging open fills the air. We hesitated for a moment but I quickly pulled Becca and Jason behind the nearest corner wall to hide.

We waited a few seconds before footsteps and the sound of a lady speaking echoed through the halls.

"Goodnight Your Highness, I'll see you next thing tomorrow morning bright and early" She chimed before she then door

Then footsteps started to get louder and louder

"Shit! She's coming" Jason whisper-shouted

It's too late now to run the best thing we can do now is hope it's a servant and maybe we can get off easy.

The footsteps approached us with the sound of a lady humming, as she walked across the corridor leading to where we are hiding she saw the three of us standing there trying our best to look as natural as possible but it didn't stop her from getting startled and ultimately dropping the tray she was holding while also letting out a high-pitched shriek. The silver tray and plates landing on the floor made things ten times worse as the noise just bounced off the walls almost like a suit of armor came crashing down. Thankfully the lady seems like just a maid, but I don't think we're off the hook yet.

"Oh my Heavens, whatever are you doing here at this late hour? you frightened me!" she spoke as she bent down to pick up the plates and tray

"Don't get mad we can explain, but please just cover for us before someone else comes through" Becca spoke quickly as she helped the maid pick up the plates.

And just as expected, we hear a door whirring open and light footsteps approaching. Jason puts his hands over his neck as if saying 'There goes my head'. I turn to look at the maid clasping my hands together and giving a pleading look on my face implying she should help us. The maid looks at us and back at the hallway and sighs.