Did you say Funeral?

Start from the beginning

As I waited for her reply, my mind raced with all the possible scenarios that could unfold. Knowing Luke, he would most likely make a joke out of her, leaving her in pieces. And of course, I would be the one left to pick up the pieces and deal with the aftermath of his cruel antics.

When Lucy's reply finally came through, my heart sank. She was actually going to come. In just an hour, she would be walking into the lion's den, completely unaware of the impending disaster that awaited her. Oh, the drama that was about to unfold.

I could already picture the scene: Lucy standing there, looking lost and out of place, while Luke's sharp wit cut her down to size. It was like a train wreck waiting to happen, and I was the helpless bystander forced to watch it all play out.

Great!

Disappearing into my room again, I threw open the closet doors and began my quest for clothes that didn't scream "grandma". The first few items I pulled out were a disaster - floral patterns, oversized sweaters, and pants that were last in style in the 80s.

"Nope, nope, nope!" I muttered to myself as I tossed the rejects to the side.

I let out a frustrated sigh as I continued my search, feeling the pressure mounting with each passing minute. How was I supposed to make a good impression at this party if I looked like I had raided a thrift store from decades past?

"Shit!" I cursed under my breath, realizing that I should have just gone shopping with my mother.

I stood in front of my closet, staring blankly at the sea of outdated and mismatched clothing.

Desperation set in as I frantically searched through my closet, hoping to find something, anything, that would save me from the embarrassment of showing up to the party looking like a fashion disaster. But as I closed the closet doors in defeat, my mother's words echoed in my mind.

"Well Leah, you will just have to improvise."

Improvise? Me? The thought of coming up with a stylish outfit on the fly was enough to send shivers down my spine. My mother may have been more fashionable than me, but her taste was a far cry from the trendy looks I admired in magazines and on social media.

With a heavy sigh, I trudged towards my mother's room, steeling myself for the horror that awaited me. As I opened her closet doors, a wave of brightly coloured prints and bold patterns assaulted my senses. Oh, the horror. My mother's style was a chaotic mix of neon colours and clashing patterns that made my head spin.

Nope, not going to happen. I quickly closed the closet doors and made a hasty retreat.

Great! I invited myself to a party that I had nothing to wear to.

A shrill sound of the doorbell echoed through the house, I knew it could only be Lucy. How did an entire hour slip away from me so suddenly? I frantically glanced at the clock on my nightstand and my eyes widened in blemish - I hadn't even taken a shower yet! I was still in my pyjamas, hair sticking out in all directions like a mad scientist.

With a deep breath, I plastered on a fake smile and made my way to the front door, hoping that Lucy wouldn't notice the frantic state I was in. As I swung the door open, I was met with Lucy's raised eyebrows and an amused grin.

"Did someone die?" she asked, her eyes wide with concern.

"No!"

"Then why aren't you dressed yet?" she demanded, squeezing right past me dressed in all black from head to toe, looking like a goth attending a nun's funeral.

Her outfit was a mismatch of styles - a lace top paired with leather pants, and combat boots that looked like they had seen better days. Her hair was framing her pale face in a way that made her look like she belonged in a Tim Burton movie.

Wow!" she exclaimed, unable to contain her amazement at the sheer size and opulence of the place.

She ran her fingers along the smooth surface of the wooden table by the door, marvelling at the craftsmanship and attention to detail. It was as if she had stepped into a fairy tale, surrounded by luxury and elegance at every turn.

"Hello, earth to Lucy!" I called out, trying to get her attention as she stood there in a daze.

"You stay here?" she asked, her eyes widening in surprise.

I nodded, trying to contain my annoyance. "Yes, for four months. Then I'm going back to Virginia." I replied as I walked upstairs, I could feel her presence behind me, her eyes scanning every inch of the house with a keen curiosity.

"So what are you wearing?" Before I could even respond, she dramatically flung open my curtains and gasped at the sight of Luke standing in the garden below, completely oblivious to our presence.

"Isn't he just perfect?" she gushed, her eyes glued to Luke as he chatted away on his phone, probably making plans to invite more people to the party. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at her infatuation with him.