Did you say Funeral?

"Yeah, dude, my dad and his wife are having some fancy-schmancy charity event tonight, so the house is ours," I overheard Luke saying on the phone.

"Let me worry about her," Luke continued, clearly talking about me.

I had a feeling this was the party Lucy had mentioned earlier.

Great! And not in a good way!

Unable to resist the temptation, I pressed my ear against the door, trying to listen in on Luke's conversation. Suddenly, the door swung open, and I stumbled forward, almost falling flat on my face.

"What are you doing?" Luke asked.  I felt a rush of embarrassment at being caught eavesdropping

"I, um, I need to get some water," I stammered, my voice cracking from the dryness. I could practically hear the tumbleweeds rolling by as I cleared my throat, hoping to sound more confident.

"You're weird," he said, his eyes narrowing in suspicion.

And you're a jackass! I thought to myself, but of course, I couldn't say that out loud. Instead, I forced a weak smile and made a beeline for the water cooler, praying that my shaky legs wouldn't give out on me.

"I'm having a party tonight, so you can either go to one of your friends or stay in your room," he stated matter-of-factly while pouring himself a glass of water.

"What?"

Luke raised an eyebrow, a mischievous grin spreading across his face. "I said you can..." he began, his voice trailing off as he took a dramatic pause, clearly relishing the moment.

"I heard you, I just... Well," I stuttered, my words faltering again as I struggled to find a way out of this predicament.

"Oh, you thought you could join the party?" Luke's grin widened as he taunted me, clearly enjoying my discomfort.

"No, PFT, well no!" I blurted out, my cheeks burning with shame.

"Lucy was coming over, I didn't know you planning to have a party," I lied with a sly grin. I could see the confusion on Luke's face.

"Who the fuck is Lucy?" he asked, his voice full of annoyance. My jaw dropped at his blunt response, but I quickly composed myself.

"My friend," I said, crossing my arms defiantly. Of course, Lucy wasn't really my friend. We had just met, and she was more interested in hanging out with Luke than with me. She was a nerd like me, and I knew Luke wouldn't give her the time of day, but that's her problem, I promised to get her into the party and that's what I'm going to do.

"Okay, then watch a movie or something," he said, trying to divert my attention awa, but I wasn't going to let him off that easily.

"No, I think I will join the party," I declared, my voice oozing with more confidence than my brain could muster.

"No, you won't,"

"Yes, I will, either we join the party or I will tell on you," I shot back, my heart racing with the audacity of my own words. I knew deep down that I wouldn't actually rat him out, but Luke didn't know that. And I was going to use that to my advantage.

"Fine, but stay away from me, and don't invite all your nerd friends," he said and left the kitchen.

Hello dude! I just got here yesterday I didn't have time yet to start a nerd club you jackass!

I anxiously pulled out my phone and hastily typed a message to Lucy, inviting her to the party. The moment I hit send, a wave of regret washed over me. What had I just done?