Chapter 5 | Secrets In The Snow

Start from the beginning

"Indeed. Yes." I tried my best to hide my surprise.

"We really ought to get you some proper shoes. I'll see if Florence can find you some. There's bound to be some somewhere from..." He trailed off, as if remembering that he shouldn't go on.

I frowned but said nothing.

Snow crunched under our feet as we started forward, Wrynn resting his hand lightly on the pommel of his sword once again.

We approached the fountain. It was clearer to see now, up close and in the light of day. There were indeed four statues in the centre of the frozen cascades. Angels. Four angels. Something like unease washed over me as I watched them. There was just something creepy about the scene – they just looked a little too real.

I looked away.

Lapsing into a comfortable silence, we drew closer and closer toward the bridge. I rested my hands on the stone guardrail and peered over the edge.

The waters were fast, the sound of them rushing over rocks and stones reached my ears. Wrynn stopped beside me, though his stiff posture did not relax. He seemed, I realised, always to be on alert. It must come with the territory of being the Captain of the Guard.

"Why has the river not frozen over? Though everything else has?" I mused.

Wrynn was silent for a moment, and I caught him glancing sideways at me.

He frowned. "That is a question I have been asking myself. The truthful answer is, I do not know" — he paused — "and I wish I did."

That was strange. There was something unsettling about his answer, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was. Maybe it was the creepy angel statue, standing by the water's edge, worn with age and time. Or maybe it was the rushing noise of the waters, drowning out all rational thought. Or maybe it was simply that fact that Wrynn did not know – and I believed him.

Shrugging it off, I pushed away from the side and continued walking; Wrynn followed me.

"I have questions."

"I am sure you do."

I glanced to him. "Will you answer them?"

"To the best of my abilities, yes, Aure." Wrynn's answer was instant – almost too quick.

Casting my eyes upfront, I studied the huge wall of pine trees in the distance. "Where is everyone?"

"Everyone?" Wrynn hedged.

I stopped, turning to face him. "Wrynn... you know what I am asking. You saw my home. The people. The atmosphere. The courtiers, the life. But here... the palace, it seems empty."

Sighing, Wrynn reached a hand up to his hair, and then, seeming to remember it was tied back, lowered it again, eyes darting from mine to the fallen snow. "The king... prefers to keep himself to himself. It's not so bad once you get used to it, the quiet is... it can be comforting."

I frowned. "Who ever heard of such a thing? A king keeping to himself? No, a king should be for his people. I can think of only one explanation: he must be either be insane or he must be a beast. There is no other explanation!"

I had intended my assessment of the situation to be a sarcastic joke, designed to rose at least a little amusement from Wrynn. Whilst Cassian certainly seemed apathetic and distant, he was far too handsome to be a beast and he wasn't actually insane. At least, I hoped he wasn't insane.

Wrynn went silent, a muscle in his jaw twitched, his grip on his sword tightened, ever so slightly. But I caught it. Not the reaction I'd intended.

"He is simply different, Aure." Came the cool reply.