"I'm nervous."

"I know," she says, placing another kiss on my lips. "I'd be too if I were in your position."

Overall, it wasn't so bad. I was expecting a lot more prying questions about my relationship with Daniella, but they were surprisingly polite. If anything, I felt more comfortable with them than I do whenever Denise is present, my new stepmother apparently. I'm sure some of them are just putting on a façade for Christmas but that's fine with me. As long as they're polite to me, I'll be polite to them.

"So, what do you do for a living? If you don't mind me asking," one of Daniella's cousins says, taking a sip of her drink.

I look over at Daniella for help but she simply shrugs. "Uh, I'm a florist," I say, biting the inside of my cheek. "I work at a flower shop."

"Oh, that's so interesting," she says, smiling at me. "What made you want to become a florist?"

"My friend's mother owns it, we're working together to hopefully open our own branch," I explain, the tension in my shoulders slowly fading, talking to rich people is tough.

"That's lovely."

"What about you?"

"Oh, I'm not really doing anything these days," she says, waving her hand dismissively. "But my husband is an architect, he's working on a huge project right now."

Goals.

"Must be nice, being a housewife" Daniella butts in. "Even though you don't actually do anything around the house, dear cousin," she says in a sweet tone, the smile on her face almost fake. "How is your husband by the way? I thought you had broken up, something about cheating, I heard."

The woman scoffs, rolling her eyes. "We got back together."

"Oh, I'm so sorry."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," she shakes her head. "It was good talking to you, Anna," she says, turning to me. "You're a sweet girl, we should catch up sometime."

I look over at Daniella, who is sipping her drink and looking away. "Sure, I'd love to," I say, forcing a smile on my face as I watch her walk away. "What was that about?"

"She's so fake it hurts."

I laugh, shaking my head. "She was being nice."

"She was being fake," she says, rolling her eyes. "She doesn't even want to talk to you, she just wants info to gossip about."

"And here I thought I was causing a somewhat good impression," I sigh, shaking my head. "You're so mean though."

"I'm honest."

"Are you now?" I raise my eyebrows. "I've been waiting to meet your niece, is she not here today?"

"Yes, fine, I lied. But can you blame me?" she asks, and I simply shrug.

"I wouldn't have judged you," I say, taking a sip of my drink. "I would have laughed, sure but what do you expect? Slippers? Coming from you? Sounds alien."

"I was 12," she groans.

"Own it," I say, poking her arm gaining an eye roll from her.

"Never."

It's a long day, and by the time we make it into her room, I'm exhausted. I throw myself onto the bed, my eyes closing almost immediately. I feel her lay down next to me, her arm wrapping around my waist as she presses herself against my back. "No stinkies on the bed," she whispers into my ear, tickling me.

"Do I smell that bad?"

"Horribly." I try to roll away from her but she holds onto me, pulling me back into her arms. "Stay," she says, planting a kiss on the back of my neck.

"No, you said I stink."

She hums, pressing her cheek against my shoulder. "I can take it."

"So kind," I say, intertwining our fingers together. "I love you."

"I love you," her warm breath fanning the back of my neck.

"Dani?"

"Yes?"

"I'm happy," I say, turning my head to face her. "Despite everything, I'm happy."

She seems a bit surprised for a second, lost in thought even, before she reaches out to cup my cheek, her lips brushing against mine. "I'm happy too."

We sit in comfortable silence for a minute, basking in each others warms, before I break it. "I'm going to my dad's dinner," I say simply, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Why so suddenly," she ask, plopping herself on her hand, looking down at me with worried eyes.

I shrug, looking up at her. It takes me a second to finally find my words again. "What's the point of delaying it if I know I'm going to have to face this sooner or later? It's better to get it over with. Plus I don't want to have to ignore my father anymore."

"Are you sure?"

I nod my head, sitting up. "As sure as I'll ever be."

"Then I'll go with you."

"No," I say, shaking my head. "Are you crazy?"

"Yeah, it's a little bit crazy," she chuckles.

"Why would you do that?"

"Well," she says, caressing my cheek. "Isn't it going to happen eventually?"

"I mean, yeah but it's not necessary, not right now..." I shake my head. "Give it a year so at least you can get all the bonuses if they fire you."

She laughs, cupping my face. "Uhm, a year then."

"C'mon, let's shower."

A/N: Ever caught yourself wondering how Daniella and Anna would look if they were cats? (Probably not) Well, wonder no more.

As always, thanks for reading, please vote and drop a comment. It will help me a lot more than you might think.

Also, follow me on Twitter and Instagram: shayzayit

Hey guys, if you enjoy my content, please consider supporting what I do on Ko-fi.com/ShayZayit (link on my profile), not only will it give me the motivation to write and create more but it will also help me get my books physically published (these drafts will always stay on Inkitt and Wattpad for free)