Chapter 5: End of the Engagement

Start from the beginning

"Why . . . why didn't you tell me this before?" I can barely speak from excitement at this unexpected news.

He faces me, and takes my hands in his. "Because your captain's not one of them."

I swallow and raise my chin. The odds of Cade being alive just decreased by half, but I still can't give up hope. "That's all right. It just means he's in Yorktown. I'll find him."

"And I will wish you the best of luck in your endeavor, Miss Ana . . . after we dock in New York." He gives my hands one more squeeze, nods, and walks away.

End of discussion. My request has been denied.

Against my best judgment, my mind immediately sets to work on how I could get to shore without Graves' help or knowledge. I quickly rule out stealing a rowboat, as lowering the massive craft takes more than one person and attracts too much attention. Because we're in enemy waters we stay far off the coast, so swimming is also off the table. It finally occurs to me that I have no recourse and must accept the Admiral's decision.

That is the first night that I cry myself to sleep since losing the Phoenix Rising.

Ginger tries her best to comfort me, pressing her head against my face while loudly purring. Her warmth against my body just reminds me more of my loneliness until I remember Charlie Roberts' ring hanging around my neck.

I must stay strong not only for Cade, but also for poor Molly Roberts, who will never get to welcome her husband home again. At least I still have hope, although it takes every part of my being to maintain it.

The next day, the clouds are gone and the sun reappears, making the surface of the ocean twinkle and mock the increasing darkness I feel inside. I'm weak in both body and spirit as my unhappiness drains the remainder of energy I had, and I have no wish to spend my time in others' company. Venturing topside to get a bit of fresh air, I only dally when the Admiral motions for me to stay.

"Miss Ana, if I may have a word." He approaches with haste as soon as he sees me. "The Terrible is taking on more water than we can pump out and appears to be irretrievably damaged."

"I'm sorry to hear that, Admiral, but how is that my concern?" I clasp my hands behind me and pout.

"Not a concern, but perhaps a welcome piece of news. You see, I'm going to have to scuttle the ship soon, and the best place to do that gets us very close to the Delaware River." He puts a hand on my shoulder and smiles. "So, you may get your wish, after all."

"I can disembark as soon as tomorrow?" My heartbeat accelerates at the realization.

"Aye." He taps my shoulder before going on his way again.

With that, my whole world changes. Once again, I'm able to see the positive side of the situation and begin making preparations to leave the Bedford. Packing up my one bag takes a whole five minutes, and I spend the rest of the time pacing on deck, anxiously waiting to reach land.

It isn't until I can see the mouth of the Delaware River with my bare eyes that Graves addresses me again. "As long as we're heading toward land, I'm going to make the most of the situation and take care of some official business. The Princessa will fetch the men from the Terrible and the Serapis, but they'll be a bit behind us. I hope you don't mind waiting a little while longer."

I look toward the approaching coastline and then back at the open ocean where the other ships are gradually getting smaller in the distance. "No, of course not."

As promised, within the hour the Bedford drops anchor and the men lower a rowboat. Graves, four crewmembers, and I switch to this vessel, which will take us into the shallow harbor.