Chapter 9: The First Day

It didn't take long for the campers to rise after I told them to, though they still gave me looks that made me uncomfortable. Thalia was looking at me as if she'd just seen me for the first time, and Annabeth... Was half between shocked and a glare at me.

It didn't take long for me to figure it out and, when I did, I felt myself getting annoyed with her. Was she really glaring at me because our parents didn't get along? I didn't remember ever asking to be born to Poseidon, no more than she'd been asked to get born to Athena. Why the heck was she glaring at me when our parents were the ones who were holding the grudge?

I turned to Thalia. "You mind showing us around?" I asked. "Or if you have some kind of director for this camp, mind taking us to them or whatever?"

"Uh, sure," Thalia nodded as she snapped out of her stupor. "I'll take you to Chiron, he's the activities director."

"Well, since you all seem to be settling in, I'll be going," Apollo said, snapping his fingers as all the luggage that had been boarded onto the bus was suddenly off it. "You all have fun at camp now! I should go, I imagine I'll need to be at a council meeting soon!"

Apollo hopped into the chariot, as I turned away as a blast of heat filled the area. I didn't need to look to know he was riding away in the sports car again.

The hunters quickly began to leave, though Grover insisted on leading them. I wondered why he was acting like such a love-struck fool but chalked it up to either him being a satyr, or something the hunters did that attracted him.

"Chiron," I repeated as I grabbed my suitcase, Bianca grabbing hers as Nico did the same. "As in, the same Chiron from the myths? The trainer of heroes and all that? No offence, I thought he'd be long dead. Is there a reason he's still alive and kicking?" I didn't want to sound rude, but I was curious.

"Apparently the gods granted his wish a long time ago, made him immortal so he could keep training heroes for as long as he was needed," Thalia said as she began to lead us through the camp, Annabeth walking beside her. "And since he isn't dead, I guess he's still needed."

"Who's the Chiron from the myths?" Nico asked, looking at me.

"He's a centaur," I told you. "Half man, half horse. He trained a lot of great heroes... Can only think of Achilles off the top of my head, but he trained a lot more than just Achilles."

"Achilles... Isn't that the heel guy?"

I couldn't help but snort with amusement and heard Thalia snort from ahead of us. "Yes, Nico. The heel guy."

I glanced around the Camp as we walked. It was... Surprisingly empty. Aiz had described It as a haven for demigods, but it felt so empty. Like several people were missing from a picture and, without them, it didn't feel whole.

"Why all the different cabins?" I asked. "They have very distinct designs, similar to each god."

"You catch on quick," Thalia said. "You stay in a Cabin depending on your godly parent. There are twelve cabins for the twelve Olympians. If you're the child of a minor god, or are unclaimed by your parent, you stay in Cabin twelve, Hermes' cabin. He's the god of travelers, so he welcomes everyone," she jutted her thumb to Cabin twelve.

I looked over, before frowning. Just from glimpsing inside it looked so... Crowded. And Hermes was also the god of thieves, I wouldn't have Nico and Bianca staying in there if I could help it. "Any way I could have Nico and Bianca stay in my cabin?" I asked, making them both look at me with surprise. "They're my best friends. I don't want them staying in an overly crowded cabin, especially since it is home to the God of Thieves."

"I... Guess if they had special permission from your father, they could stay in it," she said. "Hermes welcomes all travelers, so everyone can stay in his cabin. If you can convince your dad to let them stay in your cabin, I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed to stay."