Chapter 8 P.1: Full Moon

Start from the beginning

The giggling ladies turned in my direction and their giggling slowed but didn't cease for another few seconds. "Good morning you two"

"Good morning Xavier," Zay breathed our post laughing.

Celeste stared for another second, laughing contentedly. "Good morning," she softly spoke.

"How did you sleep?" I kept my eyes and focus on Celeste.

"Well, thank you."

"You walked here on your own?" My gaze trailed down, focusing on the crutches laid against the table.

"My leg feels a bit better," she smiled as she ate a piece of bacon slowly from her plate. I glared a bit.

"I already scolded her Xavier," Zay assured. I nodded.

"You need to rest until the full moon shines bright tonight." I had been doing my own research, sleep not really finding me without Celeste by my side. I often would sit outside her room, laptop or book in hand. Zay had acquired the books for me from friends of hers but there were few.

"I know, but I'm okay." She smiled brightly and my argument was forgotten. Beautiful. "Can we go for a run tonight?" I nodded.

"Well if I'm going to be ignored I guess I'll take my leave." I nodded, not looking away from my still smiling mate. "Goodbye, lovebirds." And there goes that beautiful grin, instead a shock look compliments her pinkening cheeks.

I grabbed a coffee cup and poured from the pot that was left on the table, taking a seat. Celeste scrunched her nose together at my immediate sip. I smiled. "I was thinking we could go on a picnic, later today. Watch the sunset and the moon come out of hiding." Her smile was smaller than before but I would take it.

Later that evening we made our way through the woods of the pack grounds. Celeste was adamant about getting to our spot on her own, crutches crunching leaves as we walked. I had offered to shift to get us both there but she claimed it would be "unfair" and "teasing" if I shifted while she couldn't. I carried a picnic basket and had a backpack full of clothes for Celeste and myself. Something told me that she wouldn't appreciate being naked in my precence. . . yet. . . I'll get there. My wolf scoffed, mocking my eager self. I've been waiting for my mate for years now, of course I feel slightly impatient. I would wait for her though, however long she needs.

The slight autumn breeze whips through our hair. Her scent combines with the foliage, making my wolf near purr at the comfort. I scold him, gaining a grumpy response. I think there's a surprise in both of us when her hand grabs hold of mine. As if realizing what she's done, she tenses. Her hand going stiff in mine, I grab a tight hold. Sparks fly between our palms. I rub my thumb on the back of her hand. She relaxes her grip.

I have to help her get over some rocks and through some bushes to get to the spot I set up. When we come out to the clearing, a picnic blanket and some LED candles are already set up. I'll have to thank whoever brought it out later, there's only a few that know this spot as my favorite. A cliffside with a small waterfall leading to a small body of water below. In the summer it's my favorite swimming hole. Took my years as a kid to develop the courage to jump off the small waterfall. It wasn't until Zay beat both Jared and I to it that we decided it was a safe bet. Mom always insisted it was. Dad always rolled his eyes when I wouldn't jump but I know he was proud when I decided to. When the moon shines bright, it will reflect just right off the waterfall, leading to a sight almost as beautiful as Celeste herself.

She's quiet. I look over, a little anxious for her reaction. Her eyes are wide, eyebrows raised as she takes in the view. What does that mean?

"Do you. . . like it?" Goddess, why am I so nervous?

"It's. . ." Not enough. Not the best view she's seen in her years of travel. A pathetic excuse of a waterfall. "Beautiful. It's gorgeous. I love it," she caught my eyes, "thank you."

"Of course, come let's sit." I helped her down to the ground, putting the crutches behind us. I would have someone bring them back to Zay in the morning, along with having them clean up anything we may leave. I want tonight to be all about her. I pour her some sparking cider. Regular alcohol has little effect on werewolves and I doubt she's ever had alcohol made for non-humans so I went with the safe choice. I pulled out the makings for a charcuterie board and set it up, Celeste giggling as I arranged the fruit in a very specific order. I want it to look nice.

"Can you tell me about yourself?" I look to her. She glances at me, blushing and looking away. "I'd like to know my mate."

"What would you like to know?" I smile kindly.

"Everything."

I chuckle. "Well I'm 23, I was born and raised in this pack as the only son of the Alpha bloodline. I grew up beside Jared and Zay, we got into decent amounts of trouble. I like to learn; from a young age I've started learning different languages and cultural histories, stories of packs and legends of the lycans to werewolves." Lycans being the creature we supposedly evolved from. "From a young age I trained to be Alpha of the pack," I jut out my chest as if it's overly impressive. "Always enjoyed the fighting, the paperwork is a bore but I like my job at the end of the day. I used to be very particular about it." She gave me a curious look. "I've always looked up to my parents. I wanted to make them proud. So when treaties, trades, and conflicts came to paper and came to me I wanted to do it all right the first time. Now I know nothing is right the first time and everything should be reviewed several times. And that's okay." She smiled. "When I took over as Alpha, they stayed around for a bit. Made sure I was okay. Then they took off, traveling. I don't blame them, the world is beautiful," I stared into her brown eyes, reaching my hand out to hers across the blanket. "I would love to show you some day."

"That sounds nice." We maintained eye contact for several moments. I smiled.

"They visit every now and then," I looked away. My wolf whined. "I'm sure they'll be ecstatic to meet you."

"Did you like your childhood? With all the training?" I nodded.

"Yea, yea I did. It was a lot of work. I felt it was unfair at times but at the end of the day, I was so determined, so passionate about my end goal. So I did love it. I also had plenty of wild days too. Skipping school, causing mayhem in the pack and nearby town. I used to throw parties up the mountain top, no regrets there but I did get grounded anytime I was caught." I laugh, thinking about the time I tried to hide a hangover from my parents. Not easy to do when you have sensitive hearing.

"It sounds nice."

"And what about you?"

So we jumped like 400 places in rankings for New Story today! Thank you so much!

Please do comment your thoughts and opinions! Your thoughts matter! This rewrite is still being written and everything is taken into consideration!