Chapter 21: Dating? Us?

Depuis le début

"But... I think she wouldn't ask for my help  if she seriously doesn't need it and if she can figure a way to solve this other than this way." I told myself, I scratched the back of my head out of extreme frustration before going back in the gym.

I saw her waiting in front of the door, "Uhm... Did we cause a conflict between you two?" Heather asked with an apologetic look on her face, "Uh... No, we're fine. We just have something to talk about between the two of us." I told them with a smile, "Can we talk once more?" I asked Astrid which she quickly agreed on.

"Tell me what do I need to do then I'll make my decision." I told her sternly, "I need you to play the role of my boyfriend in public.", "You know that you're a public figure, right?" I asked and she nodded, "Then like what we talked about before there are too many consequences for me." I continued and she nodded again, "Then what do I get with this set-up. It seems to me that you're the only one that will benefit out of this and all I'll get are problems." she was quiet. "Y-you'll have me as your girlfriend." she joked which was followed by an awkward laugh.

"Hmmm... If I think about it, it is really a reward in itself." I told myself, "No! Don't get swayed by her beauty." I composed myself, "Since you can't think of anything yet, how about a favor?" I offered, "A favor?", "Yes. A favor. If I ever need your help, you must help me." I suggested, "Sure. I can do that." she replied, "Having you as a girlfriend is just a bonus." I joked and she lighten up a bit and I saw her smile.

"For how long will I need to act?" I asked, "Just until the official National Championship Season starts, so about three months." she answered, "I don't know why but let's do this. You owe me big time." I said to her as we walked back towards the others and out of nowhere, she suddenly linked her arms with mine and I felt my body stiffened.

"Act natural." she whispered, "Natural? I never had a girlfriend before so I don't know how to act naturally with these things." I thought of saying but held it to myself. "You two make up then?" Amanda asked gesturing at our linked arms.

"Yeah. We just had a small misunderstanding, that's all." Astrid replied, "So why did you bother to cover it up earlier?" Heather had his arm crossed over her chest, I needed to think of something quick to make this believable, "I don't want anyone to know about us going out yet since I've been away for years and I want get to know Astrid much better." I looked at Hailey and she smiled back at me.

"Since your dating our friend, we need to heed you a warning. If you EVER, I mean EVER, make her cry. We'll make sure that your body will never be found." Heather and the other girls have ominous smiles on their faces, "It's not hard." Ruffnut stated and I believe her, "I'll never make her cry, I promise." I told them.

"How long have you been back here in Berk?" Tasia asked, "Since the summer." I said, "Do you play any sports?" Amanda questioned, "I play basketball." I saw all of them looking at each other, "How about we play some basketball and see the skills of the son of the Original Valkyrie?" Heather suggested as she span a ball on her finger.

We split into teams, my team composed of myself, Amanda, and Tuffnut and the other team was Astrid, Heather, and Ruffnut. 

"Hey, don't go easy on us just because we're girls." Ruffnut said, "Never do and never will." I replied, "Let's see if you're worthy of dating the 'Valkyrie'."  Heather told me, "Don't worry. I'll play just like how I always play." I replied while stealing a look to Astrid.

We played one game, first-to-21. I saw the way they played, their skills didn't differ from one another.

Amanda was quick trigger on the three, Heather was a strong forward, and the twins was awesome playing against each other.

The game was close 20 - 20, it was Astrid's team's possession. It was an isolation play with her looking for the winning shot, I was the one guarding her.

Astrid did a couple of dribbles and between-the-legs before making her move, she dribbled hard towards the left then behind-the-back towards the right which I followed then she quickly pulled a cross-over then a step back creating space between us, I wasn't able to catch up on her move. She shot the three and it swishes, ending the game, 21-20.

"You got me there." I told Astrid, amazed by the move she made. "Nice game." I heard someone said, it was Heather. "You're awesome." she commented, "Yeah. The no-look-behind-the-back pass from way out the three point line was cool." Tuffnut told me, "Seeing you dunk was much more awesome." I replied.

"He's awesome, right? He even beat me when we played against each other." Astrid declared resulting to extreme reactions from the other girls.

"Woah! You two played against each other? Is that when you two started having feelings towards one another?" Amanda butted in, I was caught off guard of the remark and I felt cheeks burn up. 

"Look at him all embarrassed." Heather pointed at me laughing. 

It was already 8 pm when we all decided to go home, I walked with Astrid towards their  car. "Would you like to ride with me?" Astrid asked, "I don't think that's a good idea. You know since you and I are supposed to be in a relationship." I replied, "Oh. You're right.  I just call you later then." she told me before she got in the car, "Hey Hiccup. If you want I can give you a ride home." I heard Uncle Agnar announced, "I'm okay, Uncle Agnar. I'm training for the try-outs so I'll jog home."