16: You're the one I must trust?

Start from the beginning

The shouting escalated, his father's words spearing through his chest with every syllable.

Jisung threw his shoulder into the door, crying out in pain and frustration when the wood didn't budge. Glass shattered. He began slamming his body against the door, over and over. His mother's screams reached his ears. "Mama!"

Jisung's eyes opened, a sharp, quiet inhale jerking his body awake. The light filtering through his light blue curtains was dim, and he slowly became aware of the sound of rain falling outside.

That wasn't the first time he had that dream, but this time, it added pieces to the puzzle he'd been trying to sort for so long. His mother was a sorcerer. Whatever blessing she placed on him the night she died caused his magic to lash out after being trapped. Just like he once was.

It was then that Jisung became aware of warmth draped over his legs, and he rolled over slightly to see a leg splayed out across his. To be more precise, Minho's leg was draped over his. Jisung blushed at the flooding memories of the night before.

Apparently all it took for the two mages to fall into bed again was a heated argument and the need to relieve stress in other ways, just like they agreed in the first deal they made.

Jisung had called Minho's staggering confession bullshit, Minho cursed him for being stubborn, and they'd crashed together. In fact, the 'crashing' was probably the best way to describe how the night went. Explosive anger and sex made for an interesting combination. The fire mage knew for a fact that he was going to be sore.

He was about to push the other mage away when Minho's voice suddenly reached his ears. A very soft, nearly inaudible 'no' escaping in a desperate whisper.

Jisung turned over, not even thinking to pay attention to the small sprinkle of concern weeding its way into his chest as he sat up on his elbows. "Minho?"

The water mage was still asleep, bare chest heaving unevenly, brows slightly scrunched. He flinched in his sleep. A few incoherent words made their way into the air. Then his body suddenly jerked, and he gasped sharply as if in immense pain.

Without thinking, Jisung instantly reached over, cupping one side of Minho's face. "Minho, wake up."

"Not again," Minho gasped out, abruptly jerking away. "Don't do this, I'll listen, please."

Jisung lifted Minho against his chest, holding the water mage down as he began struggling. "It's okay, Minho! Wake up, it's just a dream," he urged, arms wrapping over Minho's chest in a more comforting hold than a restraining one like he had before.

Minho's hands flew up to Jisung's arms with another pained gasp. And then his struggling stopped, replaced by heavy, unsteady breathing. "Jisung?"

"It's okay, I've got you. It's just a dream," Jisung soothed, one of his hands moving to thread through Minho's black hair.

A long stretch of silence.

"I'm awake, darling," Minho finally murmured.

It wasn't until then that Jisung's mind caught up to the fact that he'd so naturally stepped in to comfort his long-time rival and enemy.

"You piss me off to no end. You test me at every turn, but damn it, Jisung, I can't seem to hate you."

Fuck.

Jisung released a breath, mostly to stabilize himself. "Good," he said, dropping his arms to allow the other mage to sit up. "Fighting through a nightmare isn't fun." Real deep, Jisung.

Minho glanced over at him, a tilt to his full lips. "Especially when those nightmares are memories."

Jisung inhaled a little sharper, and their eyes met, smoldering in a different way than last night. "You too?"