Chapter 15: Nightmare

A/N:
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 4K READS WTF??!!
Im amazed at the amount of reads this story has gained thank you so much for all the support <33 Also, thank you for all the votes on this story, whenever I see all the vote notifications it makes me so happy to see you guys are enjoying it!!
Get ready for this chapter it's a sad one...sry :(

*Content Warning: Mentions of blood, violence, guns, death and suicide. Please do not read if you are sensitive to these topics*
——————————

The pungent yet comforting smell of eggs wafted through the morning air as Lyn ran down for breakfast. Her mother and father had just finished cooking and by Lyn's usual seat a plate of eggs and fruit (sourced by the family's small farm) awaited her.

The teenage girl had been too busy stuffing her face with the delicious food to notice the melancholy expressions riddled on her parents faces. Under the table the couple intertwined their trembling hands and watched in silence as their perfect daughter, their entire world smiled down at her plate. Unbeknownst to Lyn, her parents had cooked meals and acquired foods and materials that would last her weeks. They ensured Lyn would be left with enough ammunition to protect herself with and even thought about going on a search for a dog to keep her company, however, their loving gesture was prevented by their impending mortality. Before Lyn had woken that morning her parents had written her a letter, strategically placing it in their bedroom in hopes that she'd found it once they were gone.

Lyn's father broke out in a mild sweat and had a burning desire to itch at his bite mark but held out for the sake of preserving Lyn's perception of him. Likewise, his wife's bite mark had festered and practically screamed at her to itch the hot-to-the-touch area. She distracted herself from her own discomfort with the image of her daughter.

The loving parents had already discussed their plan. They'd meet death's warm embrace someplace far from their daughter to dull her suffering. Somewhere Lyn wouldn't find, or so they thought.

After their grinning daughter had eaten her breakfast the trio went on a hunting trip, one Lyn wouldn't know to take advantage of. She lived that day as if the next would be exactly the same. She didn't feel the need to savour the sound of their voices, the feeling of their hands wrapped in each of hers, the beaming smile her father had on his face or her mother's kind eyes.
The trip was successful and they returned with a deer. As a family they slaughtered and prepared the meat, Lyn is experienced enough to do this by herself...without us, her mother reassured herself.

Nightfall came after an exhausting day, her parents sat by her bed one last time. They retold stories from her childhood and peppered her forehead and cheeks with kisses. Her mother suppressed a sob as she stroked her daughters thick dark hair for what seemed to be the last time. Lyn smiled, slightly in confusion as she had never heard the pair talk so much before bed. Giving a kiss to each of them, she sunk into her covers and fell asleep. She dreamed of stupid figments of her imagination, nothing dark or traumatic, just nonsense.

What she would give to live such a blissful life now.

                                            ***

Lyn awoke to the sharp shot of a gun in the distance, she jolted, not expecting such a harsh attack to the tranquility of her dream so early in the morning.
Must be some hunters, she brushed it off and attempted to fall back asleep. It wasn't unusual for her to hear the occasional hunter passing by their turf.
A flatline of silence followed but once again the sharp piercing sound returned.