Chapter 9: Date

After washing up I was called on a last minute patrol with another group of soldiers. I sighed in annoyance as I thought I was free for the rest of the day. I had planned on going to the gun range in the afternoon but I guess that wasn't the plan anymore.

I pulled on an old hoodie and tightly tugged on the laces of my five year old converse- tying the distressed, yellowed laces into double knots for good measure. My hair was now roughed up by the carelessness in which I clothed myself, but I softly smoothed down as many stray curls springing from my head as I could. After attempting to look somewhat presentable I grabbed my backpack and headed down a long flight of stairs.

Halfway down I was met with a rather absentminded Abby.

"Hey Abs, I'll be out on patrol for the rest of the day" I smiled, letting the woman know just in case she'd worry about my whereabouts.

"Oh, I'm free for the day...mind if I come with?"

"Not at all! Meet me at the gate after you get everything sorted"

She gave me a quick nod and jogged up the stairs to her room.

I made my way to the stadium's ground level and let out the horse I'd be riding for the trip. Her name was Misty and she had a rich black main and tail that matched her large dark eyes. I ran my hands along her soft brown fur and a sense of calm rushed through me. Animals often calmed me down and lulled any anxieties I had, which was why I felt a bit more confident about patrol duty with Misty by my side.

After signing out my choice of weapons and talking to a few of the soldiers I'd be patrolling with, Abby made her awaited appearance.

"Everything good?" I asked

"Yeah all good" she confirmed as she signed out our patrol group. I led Misty to the large gate we'd be exiting as Abby stayed behind to talk to the lady at the sign out stop; presumably reporting to her that she was an add on to the group and that Isaac shouldn't worry about her abnormal presence on the trip.

We all mounted our horses and set off into an area to the far left of the stadium. We split ourselves up into pairs: Jordan and Leah (who seemed eager to set off together), Seth and Alex, which left Abby and I together (not that either one of us would have partnered with someone else).
————————

Abby and I had just finished clearing a forest area that surrounded the stadium. We encountered three infected over the course of around forty-five minutes and were riding out to clear further areas away from the forest. Patrol was quiet so far and we enjoyed the comfortable silence as we rode, although still alert, I focused on the crisp sound of Misty's hooves trotting against the ground. I snuck a glance at Abby to find her already looking at me.

"What?" I laughed.

"Nothing" she playfully reassured. Her smile was the most precious sight I'd ever witnessed, I felt proud to be one of the few people she did it around.

I felt Abby's eyes on me again and kept my face straight forward with my hands tightly tugging the reins in front of me. My face began involuntarily heating up and despite all of my attempts at cooling down, I couldn't suppress the warmth building up within me.

I heard Abby speak up "You know this is kind of like a date if you really think about it".

God, I can never get enough of her voice.

Her silky words echoed in my mind as I teased with a laugh "This is your idea of a first date with me? Do better".

She softly chuckled back "Ouch! If you think you can do better than me, have at it".

A thought bubbled in my mind as I smirked at her.
I knew what I was thinking could never happen, but in an ideal world I would want to spend time with Abby like this "Well, you'd pick me up and take me to dinner. We'd have...Italian food?" I glanced over for her approval and she smiled, I continued "We'd have some sort of pasta and then we'd leave to go get ice cream!" I innocently grinned over to her.

She opened her mouth to speak but I wasn't finished yet. I continued with a growing smirk "Then I'd take you back to my place and I'd run a bath..."

Abby's face perked up to listen more attentively when I mentioned that detail. As we rode our horses at a calm yet productive pace, I couldn't help but watch Abby's waist and lower half moving against the saddle.

"...then I'd light some candles and we'd get in together".
Abby's eyes darkened and I noticed her hands squeeze around the reigns, causing a squeak to be produced from the leather.

"That's a bit bold for our first date, don't you think?" she teased, clearly amused by my words.

"No" I casually shrugged "I wouldn't want to waste any time with you" I confidently stated. My eyes lingered on her lips for a moment and then scanned over her muscular figure.

Abby whispered something under her breathe but I couldn't hear it. What could she have said?
Her gaze returned to mine, she tugged on her bottom lip with her slick teeth and then pressed on the inside of her cheek with her tongue.
God, this woman is so fucking hot.

She opened her mouth to say something but was cut off by the familiar sound of clicking.

_______________________

A/N:

Hope you enjoyed the chapter my lovelies!!

Btw guys Seth and Alex are Oc's (I just couldn't think of any other WLF soldiers who weren't Manny, Mel, Nora,Jordan or Leah).

Also sry for such a late update I've been so busy with school it's crazy, and now I have even more exams 😭😭 kill me now 😃
Anyways I'll try and update as much as I can but I can't guarantee consistent once a fortnight updates.

ALSO WTF HOW HAS THIS STORY GOT 1.4k READS THANK U SM I RLLY APPRECIATE ALL OF U <333