Chapter 8: Another Fucking Love Triangle

(Switch to third person)

The pair had been talking in the moonlight for about thirty minutes and before Abby knew it, Lyn had fallen asleep on her shoulder. The blonde gently tugged at a coil of dark hair that was caught in Lyn's eyelashes and then planted a kiss on her forehead. The moon perfectly illuminated Lyn's features and Abby focused on every crevice of her skin; observing the way her lips rested as she slept and the thin scars that ran beneath them.

It was getting late so Abby, not wanting to wake Lyn, softly picked her up off the ground bridal style and carried her to her room. The taller woman pushed the door to room 204 open with her back and quietly placed Lyn on her bed, making sure to tuck her into the warm covers. As Abby silently tip-toed away, she caught a pair of eyes watching her from the opposite end of the shared room. Marlow.
——————————

The morning approached and after ensuring she looked presentable, Lyn made her way over to Abby's room first thing. She gave her a hug and sat next to the blonde who was putting away a book she was reading-City of thieves by David Benioff.

Abby stood up and faced the large window in her room, using the reflective surface as a mirror. As Lyn fiddled with some old coins on Abby's bedside table, the blonde unbraided her hair and brushed through it. Lyn watched the way Abby's hair fell to the sides of her face, and practically drooled over how Abby looked beautiful and somehow...handsome at the same time. Abby turned to collect the coins Lyn had in her hands "Be careful with those beautiful". Lyn blushed at Abby's words and handed the coins to the tall blonde. "Why do you have these?"

Lyn observed the writing on each coin: New Jersey, Maine, Alaska ,Vermont, Virginia.
Cool, she thought to herself.

Abby responded "My dad and I used to collect these together. I always keep them with me to stay close to him. Sometimes I feel like I'm slowly losing my memory of him, so, keeping small parts of his life like the coins help me to remember everything about him, even the smallest details".

"That's beautiful Abby...thinking about it now, I kind of do the same thing for my mother and father".

Lyn pulled up her sleeve to reveal a tattoo on her bicep. Written on her arm was a single sentence:

"We love you with all our hearts Alyna, stay safe for us my love, stay strong".

Abby asked "Where's that from?"

Lyn took a while to answer. She focused on swallowing the lump in her throat, forcing it to sink back down where it belonged. In most situations she could barely talk about the origins of the sentence without breaking down. Abby noticed Lyn's lack of an answer and quickly changed the subject "Your name is Alyna? Pretty. My full name is Abigail if you didn't know".

This was enough to pull Lyn out of her melancholy trance. She perked up with a smile "that's so cute! I'm gonna call you Abigail from now on". Abby groaned in fake annoyance and pleaded "Please don't, Abby is wayyy better".

"Nope! Time for breakfast Abigail. We don't want to be late for burritos Abigail!" Lyn giggled as she ran out of the room from Abby who chased after her. Abby played along and yelled "You're gonna regret this Alyna!"
—————————

After a breakfast filled with Lyn and Abby bickering and obsessing over each other's full names, the table of four friends travelled upstairs to the gym for some training.

"You said that I needed to improve my strength on my assessment feedback. Is that what we're doing today?" Lyn curiously questioned.

"Exactly" . Abby rolled out a yoga mat and stated "We're gonna stretch first- don't want you hurting yourself".

As the trainer and student began to stretch, Manny and a rather grumpy Marlow did the same. The bearded man was Marlow's assigned trainer and they were working on her combat skills, specifically her fighting technique and precision.

Manny noticed that his student was distracted; he followed her gaze to where Abby and Lyn were stretching. He shook his head in disbelief and under his breath groaned "Great, just what we need, another fucking love triangle". Patting Marlow on the shoulder, he gestured for them to move away to a less distracting training area. Marlow had caught on to what he had just said. Another love triangle? What is he talking about?

Manny guided his student into their fighting technique lesson and the pair began to spar. Marlow threw a light punch which was deflected by Manny "Come on, you have to be quicker than that. Vamanos, again!". The duo moved around the mat throwing all types of variations at each other. Manny was impressed by her defence skills and attacked her with more punches and kicks to test her. In the midst of their sparring session Marlow asked "What did you mean earlier on by another love triangle?". Manny ,perplexed as to why she would ask this in the middle of a fight, replied "Now's not the time for that Marlow, focus on your training".

'FoCus On yOUr TRaIniNG' she mimicked back in a low voice. Manny seemed unamused, so Marlow moved on to another tactic...begging.

"Come on, tell me" Marlow pleaded, as she threw a punch at her mentor. "Marlow, I told you to focus".

She swept Manny to the floor, after kicking him in his shin "You know you want to" she smiled. Marlow let her guard down after Manny fell to the floor, she took the opportunity to glance at Lyn and Abby laughing together. Abby spotted Lyn during a weight training exercise and Marlow's mind blazed with jealousy. They are way too close together she thought.

All of a sudden Marlow found herself in the air with Manny beneath her. The man had rotated her body and flipped her onto the the padded ground with a thump. "Gotcha" he gloated.

The woman groaned and rolled to her side as she clasped her shoulder. Manny's face fell "Fuck, did I hurt you? I promise I didn't mean to!" he worried. Confusion flooded his mind as he was sure he was gentle with Marlow. He had sparred with others countless times before, and learnt ways in which to carry out attacks meant to be lethal, in gentler ways.

Marlow let out a hearty laugh and mocked the man "did I hurt you?". Manny exhaled in relief "Ugh, fuck off. You actually scared me for a moment". He laughed a little and stated "See, if this was a real fight. You'd be dead by now".

Marlow slugged herself back up from the floor "Oh yeah? And what if I had a gun? I'd fucking shoot your face off and run out of there" she smiled as she mimicked the fire of guns with her hands "pew pew pew". Manny, unimpressed, and in full mentor mode replied "The whole point of this is to see what you'll do in a strictly combat situation. Clearly, you'd be a liability to the team".

Marlow ,somewhat hurt, changed the subject and asked again "So, what's up with the whole Abby love triangle situation?". Manny answered her question just so she'd stop pestering him.

"It's all in the past, but if you insist. She was with some guy, they broke up and now he's dating Mel- Abby's former close friend. It's not a big deal now, Abby's moved on...clearly" .Manny nodded towards Lyn and Abby with a smirk. Marlow, still fuelled by jealousy scoffed and commanded her trainer "Let's go again".

As Marlow distracted herself with more training, Abby and Lyn ended their session and left the gym to go clean up.

______________________________

Im kind of liking the dynamic between Marlow and Manny, maybe there'll be a side romance between them in the story. Who knows? ;)- I don't actually care that much, because I'm just here for Abby, but tbh I don't want to write a book purely based on smut- I'll get to that later. I want to complicate the plot for now :))

By the way Alyna is pronounced ah-lee-nah.

Also was the switch to third person better than the previous chapters in first person, I can't tell :/ let me know pls <3I might think about writing in third person more often!

That's all, hope you enjoyed this chapter!!