Chapter 185. Rewards For A Job Well Done

Start from the beginning

I looked at Ruby and Emily as they sat next to each other, while they were both happy about what I've said, I could tell that Ruby was wondering what the 3rd reason is. It seemed she was readying herself to ask what it was, but Delcan's curiosity beat her to it.

" Come on! Don't leave me hanging Matthew, what was the 3rd reason?"

I take one last look at Ruby's face before I turn to Delcan to answer him.

" I trusted her completely. I'd imagine that's a rare quality to find even in Darheim, no?"

Delcan sighed at my answer.

" More than you'd know."

Delcan glanced at Charlotte who was engrossed in our discussion.

" Matthew..."

Ruby muttered my name after I finished talking, seems she didn't realize that I trusted her. I thought that it was a shame, but I think she can realize it now. Sarah and Anna were calmly sipping their tea as they shared similar feelings to me. I mean it makes sense, they were the ones to first bring up Ruby's name when we decided to hire Emily as my secretary, and we knew she would need a guard at some point. I looked back at Emily; she was congratulating Ruby as well as poking her cheek since it's rare for Ruby to be at a loss for words. They've grown closer over these past 6 weeks I've been gone. That was nice to see really. I began to speak to Emily after Ruby was able to return to a calm state.

" So, Emily, what were you discussing before we interrupted the meeting?"

" We were actually putting the final adjustments down for the deal. Now that it's done, I was going to use the stamp you gave me before you left, but now that you're here, you can stamp it yourself, Matthew."

" Sure, but I'd like to also have you stamp it as well. This is all of your hard work after all."

" Well, I wouldn't mind, but..."

Emily didn't seem too excited at the prospect of having a credit for this.

" Well, if you want, I can petition the King to have it stated that it's all due to your work that this happened. He's a good man so I think he'll be abl-"

" Darling, I don't think she minds sharing credit with you."

Anna stopped me from finishing my sentence. I turned to her to hear her explanation. I wasn't angry at her mind you, I just wanted to know what I should do for Emily.

" I think for doing such a good job over the last 6 weeks, both Emily and Ruby would like to be rewarded."

" Yes, and that's why I wanted to add Emily's name to the documents, if her work is shown from the documents, that'll increase her standing as a businesswoman here in Diablos. Especially after we start selling the dairy-"

" That's not the kind of reward we want right now!"

Ruby jumped to her feet while I tried to explain. I looked at Ruby now as it seems she had something in mind.

" What are you looking for as a reward then, Ruby?"

" I... We..."

" Why don't you let us handle that, My Love?"

Sarah spoke for Ruby as her momentum seemed to run out as I asked my question. Ruby and Emily looked expectantly at me as they waited for my answer to Sarah's suggestion.

" Would you both prefer if Sarah and Anna chose your rewards?"

Emily and Ruby nodded vigorously to my question to them. I shrugged my shoulders and answered Sarah's question since everyone seemed to be waiting for it.

" Okay, I'll leave it up to Sarah and Anna's discretion. I'm still going to add a record of Emily's hard work on this deal however, I refuse to bend on that, okay?"

 " Yes!"

" Of course!"

Ruby and then Emily answered with joy at my words. Are Sarah and Anna really better at picking rewards than me? I mean... I guess, I haven't handed out any yet really. Besides the all-you-can-eat ice cream for my staff during mealtimes. Maybe I should look into vacation plans and what would make a good gift for a Demon. Oh wait, Emily's a Human... What do Human girls like as gifts again? Stuffed Animals? Make-up?

" Wow, it's that bad, huh?"

" Huh? What?"

" Oh nothing. I just realized how important teamwork is for climbing steep mountains is all. You know Dark Elves are sometimes referred to as " Mountain Elves" in legends! What an interesting bit of trivia!"

Delcan started to sweat as he spoke. I looked around the table and Charlotte, along with Ruby and Emily were staring at him. But not in a way that suggests good feelings. What is going on?

" Don't worry, Darling. Everything is going to be fine."

Anna offered some words as Delcan decided to excuse himself to the bathroom. Maybe the tea didn't agree with him? I stamped the paperwork and wrote a little addendum that mentioned how this business deal for the Paradise side had been completed exclusively because of Emily Metis, who was currently employed as my secretary. I hope that was good enough to give a sense of how important she was for this deal.