Cow-Dolphin--V

V

            The sound of the plane soothed Ms. Cuckler’s nerves. She knew well that the cow-dolphin was still in the city. She had been track it’s progress through the city. Of course, it had torn up everything in its path. She had expected no less.

            The hour had passed slowly. Every tick of the clock made her more anxious. Every beat of her heart had been clearly heard in her own ears. The silence was deafening. The area she was in was completely isolated and abandoned. It was only her.

            The beating of the plane’s propellers meant that it was the beginning of the end. Ms. Cuckler kicked off her shoes and propped her legs up on her desk. Then she began to sing softly. “Oh, say can you see, by the dawns early light.”

            In the plane above the pilot was calmly gliding over the town. His coordinates from dropping the bomb where precise. In the belly of the plane, soldiers were running around, preparing for the drop.

            “Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thru the perilous fight—”

            The alarms went off inside the cargo hold, telling the soldiers to retreat. It was nearly time.

            “And the rocket’s red glare; the bombs bursting in air, gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.” Ms. Cuckler turned off the monitor and rested her head on the back of her chair and closed her eyes. “Oh, say does that star spangled banner yet wave. O’er the land of the free—“

            The hatch opened. The bomb began its descent.

            “—and the home of the brave.”

            It was silent. A flash of bright light. So white hot that everything around it turned to dust. The force of the blast knocked over buildings and the magnitude devastated a square mile of land. From miles out, you could see the mushroom cloud.

            It cause devastation and poisoned the land. The small city that had been home to many had been complete obliterated. But it wasn’t a bad thing. It had saved more from dying, even though some died in the process. Honorable sacrifices, though, for the lives of other people.

            Cartel made sure to tell the story of how Ms. Cuckler had so honorably stayed behind as the town was blown to dust. He told of how she died at her post, like a captain who went down with their ship. She became a hero! She was honored by all, her family receiving a medal for her act of valor.

            “I’ve never seen such a brave man,” the president remarked during his speech to the public about the blast. “And this was no man. She was a woman; a brave, valiant, woman. She got the job done better than any man could have. She thought of all the other people before she thought of herself. She saved the world with her selflessness.”

            Things never quite returned to normal after that. The other mutants that had been released by cow-dolphin were rounded up and taken away for testing, presumably to Area 51. The land where the explosion took place remained devastated. No person was allowed to set foot upon it.

            Of course, there was always a person to break the rules. If there wasn’t, what would this world be?

            Rylan carefully scaled the tall fence. It was a dare by his friends standing on the other side. He landed with a heavy thud and raised his arms above his head victoriously. “I’m here. Now you have to pay up.”

            “No, you have to stay there for an hour and walk farther in.” His friend smirked.

            Rylan sighed and wandered farther into the area. About a hundred feet in, he turned back around and screamed with his hands in the air, “Far enough?”

            “Yeah, you’re good.”

            Rylan stood there, viewing the ground. It was covered in a thin layer of ash. He began to draw a picture in the ash with the tip of his shoe.

            He stopped only when he heard some strange sounds. He looked around but found nothing. There weren’t even trees or bushes to hide anything.

            “Rylan! Above you!”

            He looked up and was paralyzed with fear. Above him were flying monkeys, an entire horde of them. They spotted him immediately and dived down. The monkeys screeched and lashed out at him with claws. Rylan barely managed to duck out of the way.

            His friends were already running, leaving him there alone. The monkeys lashed out again and again. Soon, he was dripping with blood. He was breathing hard and still trying to bat away the monkeys. His strength was sapping rapidly though. He couldn’t fight them off. He knew that. It wasn’t long before he collapsed against the ash covered ground.

            The monkeys screeched victoriously and took to the sky again. They were the new reign of terror on the world.

            The flying monkeys were more infinite and invincible than the cow-dolphin.

            They were unstoppable.