𝟎𝟐 | 𝖈𝖔𝖓𝖋𝖗𝖔𝖓𝖙𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓

WITH A HEAVY HEART, Tessa folded one item after the next, stacking them neatly into her duffle bag

WITH A HEAVY HEART, Tessa folded one item after the next, stacking them neatly into her duffle bag. Sighing, she zipped it up before she got on her knees to pull her black suitcase out from under the bed to pack up the rest of her things that were still spread out on the queen sized bedᅳ the dark covers matching with her black clothes.

The morning sun shone through the small window in her room, something that usually always brightened her mood. But not today. Normally she only felt this shitty when she had to say goodbye to the one person her father kept away from her.

Her current emotional state only showed how important Maria had become to her, how much she enjoyed living with the woman who took her in from day one and treated her like family. Never before had any of her dad's former girlfriends treated her so warmlyᅳ and Tessa appreciated that.

That's why she hated her father even more. For once he could've thought about her, been happy that his daughter finally had someone who treated her well, who was nice to her. But Mikael Laney had never cared about anyone but himself. He didn't know love and affectionᅳ he was too corrupted by his own parents for that.

Two people Tessa couldn't stand. Her paternal grandparents. Even in their old age, they could spread nothing but hatredᅳ something Tessa despised.

But her maternal grandparents weren't much better. Apparently everyone in her family was pretty fucked up in different waysᅳ which made her appreciate Maria even more. Even though she didn't see the woman as a mother figure, she had built a close bond with her, which was now about to be torn again just because of her dickhead of a father.

A soft, bitter snort fell from her lips, her nostrils flaring as she threw the last item into her suitcase and finally collapsed onto the bed, facing the white ceiling.

Tears threatened to spill from the corners of her eyes, but Tessa wasn't one to show or admit her emotions, even when she was alone. She had learned to swallow all of it. She knew that this wasn't a good idea, ignoring the danger that at some point all emotions could boil up and cause an emotional breakdown.

The deep breaths she took were shaky, uneven evenᅳ but they helped her get her emotions under control. Swallowing the lump in her throat, she folded her hands over her stomach and hummed the one song her mom used to sing to her whenever Mikael allowed the woman to visit her.

It might have been weird, but the song always stuck with her and managed to calm Tessa down in her worst momentsᅳ even though her mom wasn't really a big part of her life. Involuntary, so Tessa couldn't blame her.

The raven-haired woman quickly jumped up when she heard the key in the lock and shortly afterwards voices muffling through the house. One of them was Maria's voice, which sounded muffled and deeper as usual, also not as cheerful. And the other one was Happy's, who urged his mom to lie down but the stubborn Latina wasn't listening.