Chapter-1 Game of Fate

Start from the beginning

"She won multiple competitions again, why can't you do something like that?!"

"She tops you in your grades, are you even studying?!"

School was not a paradise either; the rumors of his supposed deeds gave everyone a solid reason to not just collectively hate the boy but actively harm him. From stealing his belongings to pushing him into a corner and beating him up, some cases resulted in Aaron being sent to a hospital. Each day became a battle for survival, with nowhere to turn for solace or safety.

Where is the law during all of this?

The authority of the school seemed indifferent during this time, prioritizing money and academic success over the well being of their students. Or rather, the well being of Aaron in particular.

Aaron's acceptance into the fancy private school is based solely on his intelligence left him vulnerable to the harsh realities of the social hierarchy. After all, money came first, and the boy was not there because he was paying.

Unlike Mera, Aaron only excelled at academics. Effectively, the free scholarship he earned worked against him now.

Soon enough, on the day of his eighteenth birthday, Aaron's family kicked him out without hesitation, as well as disown him to further ensure he wouldn't come back.

His grades declined.

His reputation in the dirt.

And his mind in shambles.

It only left him with a single choice.

"Hey, Mera." A blond, fit, and handsome boy called out to the girl, his emerald eyes scanning her figure as she rested on his shoulder. "Hmm?" She opened her eyes, sitting up straight on the bench and stretching briefly before responding.

"There's a rumor you used to date someone else," he said, taking a moment to stretch on his own, then running his hand over his hair to pull it back up, clearing his vision. "Uhhhh..." Mera truthfully saw no harm in telling her new boyfriend about her past. Yet, the late rumors could make her seem to lack judgment of people, which was her main value in choosing Felix as her new lover.

"Come on, Mera!" Serena cheered, urging her friend to be upfront about it. "She's right, you made a good choice by leaving him!" Claris followed. 'Well, I suppose if anything, it backs up my image.' That was Mera's initial thought, yet for some reason, she felt her heart skip a beat.

"It was that guy those rumors are going all about lately. I left before it happened, so I'm not sure if he did because of the break up." Although Mera expected a negative reaction from Felix, he wore an expression of genuine admiration. "Well, seems you made a good judgment to leave him. Doubt he'd be able to do anything to you, but I don't like the thought of it regardless."

Satisfied, Mera wore a smile as she relaxed back on the bench, joined by Claris and Serena. Amidst the casual atmosphere, Felix uttered a phrase Mera could never imagine hearing: "I wonder how Aaron is doing...."

'I never really saw things from his perspective, nor did I try to.'

'My parents never treated me like you'd expect a prodigy to be treated, rather than pin my life and every move, they gave me freedom. No expectations were placed on me. And in turn, I never experienced the burden of failing, because at the end of the day, I was being compared to Aaron.'

'He'd pale, and I'd shine whenever he was around me. Aaron was a prodigy of his own, yet all of his results came from hard work.'

'That is why, calling him a genius was hurting him. The day I confessed to him was the day I unknowingly glued him to that harsh reality.'