The End

I was panicking. My heart raced. Something deep down told me I was going to die. I tried to look calm as I walked over to the others. I need a second opinion. I had to share.

I gently tap Sam's shoulder and gesture for him to follow. He was the only person here I felt I could tell about my discovery. I led him to the only place I could think of that would be concealed, a room to the side of the waiting room. The beeping of a heart monitor and the fake breathes of the hologram patient filled my ears. But I didn't have time to mess around. A metallic glint ricocheted off a small key sitting on the center of the pillow under the hologram's head. 

A memory from the ballroom surfaced, this was the girl who helped me at the party. The sign by her head read Sara. What a pretty name, and she deserved it. This girl was pretty in every way, inside and out. I continued to read further down her plaque.

Ingries: Gun Wound. 

Someone shot her, someone had tied to kill her.

I took the key from the pillow and silently thanked the girl before turning back to Sam.

 Sara was somehow related to Ethan. I knew it, damn it I shouldn't have been so quick to judge. I was turning into the people I hung out around, self-fish and rude.

"I figured it out," I whisper hissed to Sam. "The person who locked us in here is...."

The lights flicker to darkness and I immediately figure out what's going on. Lydia.

 I swear harshly.

"E-eloise" Sam stummered "Where are you?"

I knew I was about to die, my eyes glazed over. I reach up to my face to brush away the tear but my fingers meet cold plastic

"What are you doing Sam?" I ask quietly, my voice wavering slightly. "What did you put on my head?"

"I didn't do anything," Sam said, confused. I start hyperventilating. "What's wrong?"

"T-there is something. In my head." I said in a small voice.

I hear a rustle and a small sound on contact.
"Oh my gosh. What is that?" I yelp. 

I grip his arm tightly. With the other hand I reach for Sam's face. More cold plastic.

"Sam'' I whispered, "It's on your head too"

I try to tear the damn thing off my head but with no success.

"W-what is this" she squeaks, her terror leaking through her voice.

My breaths grow quicker. I hear a tinkly laugh to my left, I duck and flatten myself to the wall. A cold blade struck my stomach and ripped. I can feel my organs start to spill from my body. My hand darts to the wound and holds them in.

It was too late. 

I feel around in the pitch darkness, searching for the one thing I wanted, Sam. Somehow he had known to keep silent.

I piercing scream slices the air. Lydia had gotten to Sam too. And it was my fault.

 I'm a goner, with no doctors I wouldn't have a hope in survival. Lydia seems to know this too and leaves, but I silently pray the other would come and investigate.

Pain courses through my veins stronger like thick hot lava and more violently than before. I stumble through the dark in an attempt to find the door, but I am unsuccessful. I have no idea which direction they went in or which way Sam was.. I crumble to my knees as a whimper escapes my lips. 

The lights flick back on the yellowish light that seemed to pierce my eyes with a thousand needles. I scan the room with my spotted vision. Sam sits about 4m from me, his blood spilt in a wide puddle around him.

 We were about to die. I crawl on the tiles holding in my guts and sit beside him. I reach for his head and follow the straps attached to the cold plastic to a small clasp. Its a weird sensation to touch something you can't see. The clasp takes a second to unclip but once undone it slipped off his head easily.

"This was all virtual reality." Sam's voice mummed in pain beside me, but Sam himself had vanished.

After Sam disappeared a set of words appear across the screen that was apparently on my head. Player 2 has left the game.

Good, this means the others know we have gone and more importantly that its all fake.

Like a ghost Sam undoes my headset and sets it on the floor. Light stabs my eyes.

"We lost." He managed to choke out pain echoing in his voice. I realize there is one thing I don't want to lose, one game I refused to give up. "We haven't lost yet" I say gently.

Before he has time to reply I press my lips gently to his. For a moment the pain recedes. My life slips away ending my life with our first and last kiss.