Trapped

The girl who screamed pointed a shaky finger up, toward me. I  knew something was wrong but I didn't think It was me.  Who did this girl think she was? I stared blatantly at her.

 She's James' sister I realise dumbly. My stupid ex, he cheated on me out in the open in a party he brought me to. I hated him as much as his sister obviously hated me. It wasn't my fault the stupid pig died, surely she knew that. Right?

The others were staring at me now too. It scared me. I turned to Jasmine she was kind and thoughtful in class. Her eyes too were in my direction. But here eyes were fixated to high to be looking at me. A cold chill swept down my spine, there was something behind me, something that everyone felt the need to be scared of.  I nervously shift my weight. What were they staring at? I slowly turn my head and face the wall. 

I immediately wish I hadn't. Blood red words were drawn in large dripping letters.

Past to past, games to games, gather the keys to avenge James.

I stuffed my fist in my mouth to suppress a scream. Was it one of the other people in the room responsible for James supposed drowning in the community pool?

I didn't know what to do. I was supposed to be busy with my hair or makeup or other silly shallow things my parents liked me doing. Not sitting on cold concrete, in a room with strangers, with a threatening message above my head. My thoughts spun like a whirlwind in my brain. How was I going to survive here. Surely this just one big joke. 

Right?

I stare at my fellow captives trying to puzzle out which of them it could be just by appearance. My money is on the taller guy with the glasses, but I had no proof.

Guess that means I need to find some, even if I didn't feel like it.

Smile on, and Action.

"Hi," I say brightly after a moment "I'm Eloise." 

I wave gently to the small audience. "And I'm seventeen." 

I laughed gently at how stupid I sounded. The bigger boy stared at me as if I was an idiot and my cheek flush red. I tear my eyes away and start picking my nails. They were light blue with white stenciling. I sat half listening to the other introductions as I studied them more closely. I was careful to nod and smile in the right places, but I didn't know who I was acting for. The boy with the yellow shirt was Sam, the big ignorant pig was Ethan, and the cold girl was still swinging herself.

"Guys" Sam began stuttering slightly, "so we are in this uh, thing right. But um, why are we here?" he asked, dropping off and fidgeting with the hem of his shirt. Why was he nervous? Was there something he wasn't telling us?

 He looked uncomfortable. I didn't like that, I thought quickly then started to speak.

"Well, I know who James is," I said hoping I sounded confident. I was trying to get a reaction out of him. Hoping for something I could use.

"Same." Said Jasmine piped up either realising my plan or was just pure soul.

"I know a James." Said a small velvety voice from the corner.

"I know a James." She repeated when no one replied.

So she was speaking now.

"Oh, my name is Lydia."

Sam turned to face Ethan. "Let me guess, you know-knew James too?" His voice was full of accusation. Did he know something about Ethan that I didn't?

Well that wouldn't be hard considering I just met the guy.