Hazel Eyes

There are people who say, to dream is to be ignorant and to live is by seeing the world for what it is. This phrase has stayed in my head for years as I attempted to find its truth. It wasn’t until April 23rd that I finally understood.

April 23rd, the middle of the spring, the time right after allergies had calmed down and you didn’t feel like you were about to die. I was sweeping with nothing more than the sound of the broom brushing against the floor and a gentle song being played behind me. The darkness from outside slowly filling the store as a small ringing is heard from the front door. Hazel eyes tracing the lines on the floor up to the surrounding shelves, my glance following the female as she searched the store for something I currently was unaware of. Taking small steps to the side as she walked past and I lean the broom against the wall, mesmerized by her presence I can’t help but loose focus on my task on hand. She lifted her head to catch my gaze only giving a light smile upon her lips before walking over to the isle in front of me. Shaking my head lightly I allow my job to become a higher priority on my list and walk behind the counter that held the cluttered items meant for people to buy, though no one ever did, pressing a button on the register allowing it to open as I reach over and grab a small pen and an old notebook that was had been worn out through the years.

The maroon colored pen scribbled down the time and date at the top of the page, going down a singular line as it began writing again. The black ink tracing along the page describing the activities of the afternoon shift and that nothing bad was to be reported thus far, the only thing remaining was the amount left in the register which had one more check out remaining before the day was to end. Looking up my eyes locked with hers as the sound of her footsteps grew louder whilst she approached. Nothing more was in her hand but a simple candy bar and a small drink that seemed to be grape. Placing it on the counter my hand reaches out and grabs the items one at a time, scanning them as the cash register calculated the price. Taking a deep breath, I placed the items into a small bag before putting it in front of the female. “That will be five dollars and thirty-nine cents.” She looks down behind herself as she takes out a small wallet, it was a soft green with a slight tear going down the side. Opening the object and taking out a five dollar bill and two quarters. Taking the change from her I press the button to open the cash register, placing in the amount and in return handing her a dime and a penny.

The thought of her leaving made a sense of pain coarse through my body, she was a complete stranger to me and yet I was unable to let her leave without a smile on those lips again. I could not help but wish she was happy, it was more of a need to me than a want, before I could think of what to say my lips parted and I spoke to her yet again. “So green huh?.” She stared at me with a puzzled expression on her face. “Your wallet..” I point out, glancing down at her wallet she shook her head no and placed the small coins into it. Turning her wallet to face me she takes out her phone. Now I was the confused one. She swipes across her phone, she seemed to click on a small app before what looked like typing. A slight hesitation was present before she turned the phone, now able to see the screen I begin to read her message. Light Blue?.. What was she referring to, it was an obvious green. That was until I remembered the one thing that made me different from most, I was color blind.

My eyes close tightly for a moment, looking down as they open and my hair falls in front of my face. Shaking my head for a single moment before looking back into her hazel eyes, a light chuckle leaving my lips before I speak. “I apologize, I am color blind as of 16 years ago.” She looks into my eyes, glancing down at her phone as she types a new message, showing it to me. Reading the message again I responded to her. “No, I am not 16” another light hint of laughter escapes me as I continue, “There was an incident that occurred when I was 8. Though I won’t keep you here to listen to it. However, you know where to find me if you would like to talk or type.” She smiled softly, it looked so beautiful I couldn’t help but stare for a moment. “May I know your name?” I asked with a hint of hope within my voice, her head shaking to a playful no.