Chapter 20 - Tsuguko: Kanao Tsuyuri

A/N: Sorry for my sudden disappearance I got the habit from my dad /jk

————

The boys had just finished another morning of hard and agonising training, muscles strained and faces red from the exhaustion. Y/N was walking through the halls of the butterfly estate, making her way into their bedroom. Upon opening the door, she was met with quite the interesting sight. Inosuke was laying on the bed, his lower body almost falling off the mattress. Zenitsu was already up again, looking at the small sparrow sitting on his finger. He was speaking in a hushed voice, his eyes cloudy and his tone laced with doubts. The blonde boy spoke to the little bird, not noticing Y/N standing in the doorway.

„Oh Chuntaro.. Tanjiro is already training isn't he? It's so exhausting to work so hard. Tanjiro is so far ahead of us.. and that makes me worry. He always explains everything to me but I still can't do it.. Am I even good enough to be a demon slayer? I think I've reached my limit here.."

The bird chirped, as if to agree.

„Huh? You're agreeing with me? That's a bit mean, you know? You could at least tell me that you think I'm doing well and that you're proud of me."

The bird chirped again.

„What do you mean I have to work harder? Well.. I guess I have no other choice then."

With shaky hands, the blonde boy took the greenish medicine from his nightstand, swallowing it in one gulp. His face morphed into an expression of disgust, almost making Y/N feel sorry for him. Almost. The green haired woman stepped into the room, making Zenitsu turn his head in surprise.

„Y-Y/N?! What brings you here so early? Shouldn't you be looking after Tanjiro?"

The woman let out a low hum as she sat down on Tanjiro's empty bed, her golden eyes meeting his.

„He can take care of himself for now. But more importantly.."

Just as Y/N was about to speak, Inosuke jumped up, standing straight on his mattress. Zenitsu flinched from the sudden action, Y/N simply tilting her head. Inosuke exhaled the air inside his lungs, speaking with a determined voice.

„Let's get training."

A small smile tugged at the corners of Y/N's lips. She stood up, following the two boys into the training rooms. Just as they where about to enter, she gently tapped Zenitsu on the shoulder, making him turn around.

„Yes?"

She wasn't really good at this sort of thing, but she heard his thoughts earlier. And she didn't want him to feel like that. Everyone had issues to overcome, even Tanjiro. Even herself.

„You're doing well. I'm proud of you."

Zenitsu's eyes widened at her words. They where so.. gentle. Something he didn't often see from Y/N, who was usually cold and stoic. His cheeks took a soft pink hue as he averted his gaze, a grateful smile on his face.

„T-Thank you.."

„But that doesn't mean you can't work harder. We all can and we all have to."

Y/N added. As the two of them reached the training room, Inosuke already stood in the middle of it, listening to Shinobu explain the concentration breathing. The adeptus decided to participate in the lesson, finding it pretty interesting. In fact, within her hundreds of years she had lived, she never came across the term „concentration breathing". Maybe she could learn a thing or two from Shinobu. She inhaled as instructed, feeling the oxygen fill up her lungs. It felt pleasant, almost as if she was warming her body from the inside. The three of them where sitting in front of Tanjiro, who was sharing his insights on concentration breathing.