036

MY PURPOSE - JOHN B ROUTLEDGE

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX - THE INNOCENT

"Is that it?" Eleanor asked as her and John B came to a stop outside of a large modern beach house.

"Y-yeah I think so" John B sighed, bending down to put the code in as Eleanor kept watch to make sure nobody had followed them from the church.

They both let out a sigh of relief when the door opened as they walked into the house before quietly shutting the door behind them.

Making their way upstairs, Eleanor had never been so happy to have a bed to sleep in that night. Sinking further into the bed, she could still hear the shaky breaths coming from John B beside her.

"Hey, it's okay" Eleanor moved closer to him and cuddled into his side "We're okay John B, we're safe in here"

"They're still out there, El" He mumbled.

"I know..." She whispered as John B wrapped an arm around her back with his fingers in the belt loop of her shorts to make sure she was close whilst her head rested on his chest.

There was a long pause of silence after that as the two laid together with half of the island out there looking for the two when John B spoke,

"I'm so sorry El...so sorry for dragging you into all of this and-"

"John B" She cut him off and sat up slightly "If it weren't for you I'd probably be sat in a prison cell right now. My life wasn't sunshine and rainbows before you met me okay? It isn't your fault"

She finished before leaning down and placing her lips on his as they kissed slowly and softly. A small smile pulled at her lips as she pulled away before a loud wail of sirens went past the house causing John B to sit up in a panic.

"Hey, hey" Eleanor placed her hands on his shoulders and gently guided him back down to lay beside her "It's all right, it's okay" They both held each other close "It's okay. I've got you"

"Could you remind me of the happy ending?" John B whispered and Eleanor nodded.

"Yeah. We're gonna meet the Pogues at the dock tomorrow and erm...they're gonna have the getaway boat" She had one hand on his cheek while the other was entwined with his as John B nodded to what she was saying.

"And then we go to Mexico" He continued as his breathing started to slow.

"Yeah and we get the gold and meet up with the Pogues, you can meet my family and I'll buy you a car"

John B had a small smile on his face "Teach me how to race?"

"Yeah" Eleanor whispered back, letting out a low chuckle "I'll teach you how to race, John B" She felt him kiss the side of her head as she squeezed his hand in return "Everything's gonna be okay"