CHAPTER 3

Chapter 3, "familiarity"

"What is your name, girl?"

"Jinx, just Jinx."
she shrugs.

Abyss seems to think for a moment. Then he stands up, stepping out of the shadows. He walks to the girl, kneeling down beside her.

"Tell me, Jinx. Did you ever know someone named...Melody?"

"..Melody Evergreen?" she asks, tilting her head slightly.

she sits up again.

Abyss's eyes widen slightly in surprise. Her knowing the name was confirmation enough, but he wasn't going to let on that he knew so much about her.
"Melody Evergreen, yes."

"well, she's my great grandmother, so it'll be wrong to say I didn't know her. Why?"

Abyss goes silent for a moment. He's shocked by what she said.
"Melody is your...great grandmother, you said?"

she nods, raising a brow.
"Yeah..?"

Abyss is silent once more, his eyes widening even more. It's a lot to take in. There's...so many questions he wants to ask her, but he can't. He has to hold back.
"How...how did she die?"

"I don't know, the last time I saw her was when I was 10. She just cut everyone off and didn't come back, we're all assuming that she's dead. However, I think it's weird.. she was also a demon, like me, though she was 1700, those don't die again, right?.."

"She...cut everyone off, you say?"

Abyss takes a deep breath, still trying to process all this. He doesn't know what to think so far. Maybe...maybe he's just...imagining things. Yes, that has to be it.

"That is peculiar...to say the least. Can you tell me what she looked like? What her personality was like?"