Chapter 14. The Personal Quest

Start from the beginning

"D-dragon?" Jill gaped at me for a shot moment and then, the laughter came. "Haahhaahahah, a dragon... a dragon?! Hahahahaha!"

"Yeaaah," I rolled my eyes as I waited for Jill to calm down. The dwarf laughed for a few more minutes or so until she suddenly stopped. It was so abrupt that I even forgot I was watching Totto playing with his bone and turned back to Jill surprised.

The dwarf was sitting with her brows knitted together in one line as if she was in some deep thought. Suddenly, she raised her head and her small eyes hidden beyond the thick bushy eyebrows bore into mine thoughtfully.

"You know, this might not be so funny, after all," Jill finally muttered.

I merely shrugged as I pushed myself up on one of her less cluttered desks and made myself comfortable. It surely wasn't funny to me. I felt like I've been Dreamwalking a tad bit too much and there wasn't anyone I could actually confide in.

"You see," Jill leaned towards me and continued in a hushed voice as if she was attempting to tell some sort of a secret, "I have read this one book, an unabridged version of the History of Amyron, and it said that not all of the dragons are dead."

"Oh, really?" I drawled, rolling my eyes. Gee, as if I didn't know that already.

"Some say that a few of them survived and escaped to the Demon Realm."

"No way!" I mock-gasped and Jill gave me a dull look.

"Look here, you were the one to start this," she scoffed and I smiled sheepishly.

"You're right, sorry."

"Anyways, if that's true, there is a possibility the dragons might come back, who knows," Jill shrugged her shoulders.

"I do think at least one dragon is back," I muttered grimly as I recalled my newly found dream buddy I had dubbed Blacky.

"Well, if the dragons are back, we're in deep shit, girl," Jill said matter-off-factly and I glanced at her somewhat worriedly.

For a moment there, we remained silent as I wondered how much I could really trust this dwarf. Should I tell her I had actually met even two dragons? And that I myself am cursed by one of them?..

"If there's anyone who actually knows the truth," Jill glanced at me conspiratorially, "then it's Soran the Mage."

"Soran?" I echoed dumbly. Now where have I heard that name?

"People say he lives in seclusion on the top of-"

"Let me guess," I interrupted her, "the Ugundi Mountains."

"Oh, how did you know?"

"Heard it somewhere before," I replied as I looked away sullenly. I suppose there really is no way I can avoid this.

"Well, I'm not so sure about that," Jill frowned slightly. "You see, according to the rumors, Soran is over 300 years old by now. Even a magician can't survive for 300 years!"

I gaped at Jill surprised, "300 years?!"

"That's what I heard," Jill shrugged. "Not even elves live that long, you know."

"Oh, Gods of Amyron," I whined as I bowed my head down. "I'm so dead."

Now I'll never ever get rid of this stupid curse... No, wait, I can't be like this. The dragon did say I had to find Soran, so he must still be alive. Even if he is 300 years old, I mustn't give up! I mean, I've seen eyeless walking skeletons and dragons that are supposed to be dead. Surely, there can be a 300-year-old magician, too.