Chapter 37

My phone starts ringing. It's 2am.

Confused and disoriented, I feel around on my bedside table, unable to see in the dark.

The bright light of my phone screen assaults my eyes, taking me a few seconds to adjust. Blinking and squinting, I try to make out who's calling. "Stilinski :)" flashes across my screen.

I groan, press answer, and roll over, my legs tangling with the soft, warm sheets.

"Hey Stiles, everything alright?" There's no answer, just the muffled (and slightly static) sound of heavy breathing. I frown, holding the phone away from my face to check he's still there. "Stiles? Stiles? Are you there?"

"Nylah?" He sounds terrified, and I don't like it. Not one bit. "Hey, I'm here..."

"Are you alright? Can you hear me? What's going on?"

"Nylah, I don't know where I am... I don't know how I got here... I think I was sleepwalking..."

My brain is immediately sent into overdrive. He told me that he used to sleepwalk to his parents' bedroom as a kid after his mum died — a sort of trauma response. So why's he sleepwalking now?? If it's because of his condition, he could be a serious danger to himself. I need to fetch him, now.

I shoot upright, my legs swinging over the side of the bed, the cold air nipping at my skin. "Alright, can you see anything? Tell me what you see? I'm coming to get you."

"Uh, it's dark. It's hard to see. I think there's something wrong with my—" He cuts out and switches to voicemail, "Hey, this is Stiles and you missed me. Leave a message."

"No..." I mutter, hanging up and ringing his phone again.

"Hey, this is St—"

"No, come on," I say urgently, shrugging a jacket on. It's freezing. His name flashes across my screen again. "Stiles?"

"Nylah, I don't think I can get out of here. I can't move."

"Okay, I'm coming to fetch you. Just tell me where you are?"

"I don't know. I don't know. It's too dark. I can't see much, and something's wrong with my leg. It's stuck on something, and it's... I think it's bleeding..."

"Shit," I swear under my breath. "Is it broken?" A pause. "Stiles, is it broken? Are you still there? Can you hear me?"

"Ah, there's some kind of smell down here. Something smells terrible. It's brutal. My eyes are watering."

"Okay, okay. I'm going to call your dad—"

"No, no, no, no, don't—"

"But he'll be able to track you down."

"Don't. Just please, don't call him. Promise you won't. He already worries about me too much. Nylah, please—"

"But what if I can't find you? Stiles, I can't make a promise like that. My priority is you."

"No, no, no, just please... please, don't call him. Come find me. You can do it. He doesn't have to know. Nylah, you can find me. Call Scott if you have to. Actually, please call him."

"I'll find you, I swear," I say determinedly, grabbing my keys, a blanket, and a large zip-up hoodie.

"Oh, I gotta call you back. I have to turn the phone off," Stiles informs me.

"What? No, don't do that! Wait—"

"I'm gonna call you back—" He hangs up abruptly. Feeling sick to my stomach, I shoot dad a text so I don't wake him.