Secret?

KAVYA'S POV
I looked at him one last time and signed on the blank space. I was now married to Hridhaan Elliot Vedi, legally. It was taking longer because I was still an Indian citizen and he wasn't. His middle name was Elliot? Why didn't I know it? Nevermind. We stepped out of the courthouse and went back home. "Uhm, can we stop by my dorm room? I still haven't moved my stuff." "Yeah sure." We reached my dorm room as a wave of emotions swept in. I lived the best years of my life here. Ruby came running towards me, "Kavya!" She gasped for air as Yangyang came pacing with Ed in his arms, "First, Congratulations! Second, I really missed you." She hugged me tightly as I hugged her back. "I really wanted you to be there but it's alright, I know how young Ed is. Is this cutie pie alright?" "Of course he is. It's a relief that he either sleeps or eats and there isn't much to do but still he eats like in every few hours." "I know it better than anyone." She laughed, "I know." She stopped and looked at me, "Feeling nostalgic?" "Mhm. Practically spent a whole lot of years in here. I was just smiling remembering everything we did. The late night snacks, movie nights, Yangyang and his brother with his whole drama. Ugh I don't know what I'll do without you. I'll miss the drama." She smiled, "I'll miss you too. Ed will miss having you around. You were there for him all along." I nodded slowly. Aashna and Ruby had been really close to me. They'd been a huge part of my life and now that I need to move out of my dorm room where I've cried, laughed, danced, sang and spent my best years. A thousand different emotions rushed through me as I stood by the door and went down the memory lane. I looked at the box full of my belongings as I realised that the things and the house meant nothing. Home wasn't a place with your belongings, it was the place where your heart found warmth and peace, it was where you felt comfortable and where you have endless memories for life. I picked up the box and walked downstairs to find Hridhaan scrolling through his phone. I kept the box in the trunk and turned to look at them. "I'll be there in P-25. You can come meet me there." She nodded, "Definitely. Have your other stuff been transported already?" "Uh huh." "Then...... let's meet tomorrow." "Yes. I'll text you." I sat in the car and waved at them as my mind was blank just like our silence. I didn't know what to say and Ruby was definitely thinking the same. It wasn't as if I was going to go really far but we'd been living together for over 6 years. We reached home as I started keeping my stuff in place but my mind was elsewhere. I needed time to adjust. It's not all sparkle and I am taking much longer than I thought. I felt a tap on my shoulder as I turned to smell a cup of coffee, "Thank you." "Don't mention." He sat on the bed and looked at me and my stuff on the floor, "Exhausting?" "Hmm? No not really." "I meant emotionally not physically." I sighed taking a sip and nodded, "It is. I don't know where to start." I'd never felt like this before, as if I was lost and found at the same time. I always had my life sorted but maybe not this time. "You can take some time off. Let me know if I can be of any help." "Yeah." He stood up and went away to the living room. Maybe things will get better from tomorrow as I seep into my new life.

I woke up and found him sleeping peacefully. I walked to the bathroom and did my daily essentials. I came out to find him missing as I smelled coffee in the air. I changed into a brown anarkali suit and applied sunscreen. Anyone could make out that I was newly married because I had decided to keep my wedding bangles for two weeks. My henna had still not faded as they complimented my suit. I heard him coming out of the bathroom as my eyes were blessed early in the morning. Hridhaan was half naked! OH MY FUCKING EYES! I looked away while I couldn't get the image out of my head. His pale skin, toned body with defined muscles and the highlight was the holy thread hanging across his upper body diagonally. He made his way to the living room and probably changed into his Puja cloth, "Kavya? Can you come here?" "Coming!" I went near him as he put flowers on the idols of Gods and Goddesses with sandalwood paste mixed in water. I went near him as he rang the holy bell chanting lowly and simultaneously circling the incense sticks. I prayed with him as we bowed down together. We stood up as he turned towards me and smeared the vermillion on the middle part of my hairline. He went to get changed as I stood there dumbfounded. Hridhaan was way more religious than I thought, he chanted way better than most people in India of his age and he was extremely well-versed with perfect Sanskrit pronounciations. It felt surreal that I got to discover such things about him, the parts of him that the world would never know about. I turned as I could smell his strong perfume. He was neatly dressed in a formal blue button-up shirt paired with a beige pant. I rushed towards the kitchen as I saw two dishes perfectly served on the counter, "You made the breakfast already?" "Yeah. You should take time adjusting. By that time, I'll cook." He looked at me after adjusting his wrist watch, "It's fine with me even if you don't want or know to cook." "No. I'm making the lunch and dinner. It's not that difficult to find stuff in a kitchen." I opened the drawers and found jars with labels. How organised! Anyone could work in such a kitchen. "You should eat your breakfast." I nodded and sat down on the chair across him. Toasted bread with butter and jam sachets on the side and a glass of milk along with boiled vegetables like beans, corn and carrots. This was like a restaurant meal. I'd have to make something like this too. I wasn't a big eater, I forgot to eat most of the times but now that we're going to live together, I'll have to make all three meals. We finished the breakfast as we kept the dishes in the sink. I'll wash them later. Hridhaan put on his sling leather bag that was probably worth a couple thousand pounds. I put on my bag as he looked at me, "Are you going to walk?" "Of course!" "No, I mean I could drop you-" "Someone will see us." "Okay."
I reached my class as I saw Ruby waving at me. I went near her as she excitedly sat down, "So? How's married life?" "It's been just a week. We legally got married yesterday." "Still how's Mr. Ve-" I shut her mouth, "Don't. We're concealing." "What? Why?" "I have my reasons." "Eh I was so excited to see those campus bitches' faces. Nevermind." We were done as I went to my bachelor's class where the students greeted me. "Hello students! I hope I wasn't gone for too long." "And you got married!" They started getting chaotic. "Ah, I'm sorry. It was a flash marriage." "Arranged?" "Yep." "Prof. Pujari. I thought I expressed my feelings clearly and-" "Broc? Can you shut up? Prof. Pujari married the person she likes so rather than saying shit you should congratulate her." I laughed as I watched them bicker, "Alright, alright. Let's get back to where we were." "Prof. Pujari? Can we meet your husband?" "No." "Why? We want to see him and know about him." "Not now. Hmm?" "Then when?" "Umm after I get my doctorate?" "Oooh you'll be a doctor very soon!" "Yes and now your talk time is over. After this I'm failing anyone who's going to disturb." The students had a good bond with me, we joked around as much as we studied. They were good students. The lecture got over as I made my way to the staff cell. My heart thumped against my chest when I saw Hridhaan. He glanced at me and then at Ms. Kent. She wiggled her eyebrows and motioned outdoors. I followed her out, "So? How's Prof. Vedi as a husband?" "How do you know that?" "Hmm....I'm a mind reader." "What?" She smiled, "Prof. Vedi said it himself. Just to the staff though because he had to upgrade his marital status on his profile and Mr. Peterson wanted just the staff to be aware. If the word leaks, the person would be suspended unless it's you both yourselves." I nodded, "Well, we got arrange married so no spark yet." "I doubt that. Your eyes speak a different story." "Our families arranged it and since we've known each other for years now, it was a good choice." She nodded, "Well, we expect some office romance." She winked as I blushed looking away. She patted my shoulder, "I hope you both have a healthy marriage. You both look cute together." "Thank you Ms. Kent." She left as I re-entered the room when party poppers came flying over my head. "Congratulations!" We had a few junior young staff members who were ecstatically into the celebration and demanded a dinner party. Hridhaan nodded, "Alright, today's dinner is on me..." They started cheering as he continued, "But my wife and I won't join." "What? Why?" "I think it's better for a newlywed couple to eat after cooking together." They all started hooting and howling as my cheeks turned red from the whole scenario. The way he casually said 'my wife' sent butterflies in my stomach. "Your dinner doesn't have a budget, just let me know the venue and send me the digital payment options. Don't get too wasted and do make it tomorrow." "Hurray!" "Hey, stop screaming, y'all are grown adults." "So what? Just because we're adults we can't even express our joy?" Dr. Howard dramatically held his chest and gasped lightly. Hridhaan narrowed his eyes as they all chuckled lightly. He turned to me, "Come with me." We went inside his office as he pulled the blinders down. He sat on his chair and passed me a paper with a pen as I sat on the chair across his table, "Sign this and fill out your details, I submitted our marriage certificate and you just need to fill this form to update your marital status." "Oh okay." I started filling it out as he silently sat in front, I felt his gaze on my face but I shrugged it off. He must focusing on what I'm writing. Why would he look at my face? Am I being kind of narcissistic or something? I looked up, "Professor? Should I sign here?" "Hm?" "Should I sign here?" He cleared his throat looking away and then at the form, "Uhm yeah sign in that box." "Okay." What happened? Where was he even focused? Is my hair looking bad or what? "Here, it's done." "Yeah, I will submit it right away." "Thanks." "Mention not." He nodded slightly as I got up and so did he. I reached for the door knob when his fingers brushed against mine. He quickly withdrew his hand, "Uhm, you first." He was so tall that he could probably hide me completely behind him. I bit my lip and walked out and went to my class. Our supervising professor, Dr. Harris had been quite ill and the last time I'd seen him was last month. I had quite a lot many things to ask him regarding my new research article. Leonard Hawking waved at me as I could already feel his question darting at me, "So? You're done with that work of yours or are you still stuck for some guidance, hm?" He came closer to me as I suddenly felt quite uncomfortable, "Well, unlike you, I'd like to have some good mentorship to give my absolute best." I was lying, Leonard never needed guidance of any professor and he's always outperformed me. We always had a little competitive tension. He inched closer as his fingers lifted my chin, "Oh, is that all you had to say?" I stepped backward, "Are you nuts? Why are you touching me? Can't you see that I am married?" "What? You got married? When?" "I came just two days ago from my own wedding. I still have my Henna on." His face turned pale, "But, the other time you went and came with Henna, you...." "That was my cousin's wedding. I am married now." I showed him my ring as his expression changed, "I'm sorry, I didn't know." "Regardless, you shouldn't have touched me." "Uhm yea. Congratulations?" "Thanks."
I was probably late for the Master's program when Tracey ran around the class and stood near me holding my elbow, "Prof. Pujari, I think Samuel will kill me today." "What? Hey, what's going on?" "Ms. Pujari, she told everyone about my girlfriend." "You have a girlfriend?" Everyone started howling as I chuckled, "Come on, a girlfriend is worth sharing." "So is a husband." "Hey, I told y'all, I will reveal that in a few months. Come on." "But why can't you just reveal it? Wait, is it someone from the university?" Everyone started hollering, "Y'all can't spread baseless rumours, okay? My husband and I want some privacy until I get my doctorate." "Alright, alright, it's Stacy." We all gasped together, "The dancer?" "Yeah." "What? How'd you even get her?" "She said she likes nerds." He blushed and looked down with a little pout. He looked up, "Ms. Pujari, the least you can do is describe your husband." "What?" Shit, no. I can't describe him, they'll know it right away. "Uhm well, he is very handsome and respectful and he is also very nice to me." "No, that is such a foolproof answer. What does he do?" "Uhm he belongs to a business-oriented family." They all were convinced that it could not have been a person from the university because the staff were not allowed to be actively associated with any business. I didn't lie, I mean, he does belong to a rich business family but not many people were aware of Hridhaan's family background because if they did, they'd start spying on him. He was far from limelight. "You could at least show us a picture of you two." "No, get back to work now."