Chapter 1 - Her career is over

Present... (Early 2020)

Hunter fiddled with his pen as he went through the documents, reading paragraph by paragraph, word by word. He flipped the papers, nodding in satisfaction before signing at the bottom of the page. 

"It's good. Tell them to hire him next week and that I'd like to personally call him and tell him the news" Hunter said, closing the file and handing it to his secretary. 

Lydia, his secretary nodded and excused herself out of Hunter's locker room. 

Hunter laid back on his seat, taking a deep breath and relaxing himself. Only for a moment when Lydia came back in to which Hunter jotted back into a straight up sitting position.

"I'm sorry, Mr Helmsley, but you have a visitor" Lydia said. 

"Oh, do they have an appointment?" Hunter asked.

"I don't think I need special permission to come in" Shawn said, walking in with a cheeky grin. 

Hunter rolled his eyes at Shawn's comment, but had a sly grin hidden behind his bushy beard. "Says who?" Hunter teased. 

"Back then I used to walk in with you and some chick on your lap, eating each other's faces and I didn't need permission. So, I don't need one now either" Shawn sassed, taking a seat in front of Hunter at the desk.

Hunter's eyes widen, not expecting that comeback from Shawn. "Okay, okay, Shawn. Too much information. No one needs to know that. You weren't a saint yourself there, you boy toy" Hunter sassed back.

Shawn sniggered, but let out a laugh shortly afterwards. 

Lydia hid a smile at their petty squabbles, quietly walking out of the office, leaving the two best friends alone. It was always a party whenever they both are together. 

"So, what was with that appointment thingy?" Shawn asked. 

"Times are a little tough, Shawn. With the virus spreading out and Vince's insane budget-cut releases are just driving me crazy. There's just so much to do, but with so little choices" Hunter said. "The journalists are just stopping by whenever they want and ask my opinion on things which has nothing to do with my doings. I just didn't have time to entertain just about anybody at the moment"

Shawn felt pity for his friend. "Is this not a good time? I can come back later?"

"No, no, it's fine, Shawn. I need this, actually" Hunter sighed. 

Shawn nodded. "If you have anything to say, you know you can talk to me, Hunt?" 

"I know, Shawn. It's just... well, Vince has been releasing most of our top talents, I'm sure you know about it" Hunter said to which Shawn nodded. "Most of them were just doing so well and all they need was just a little more push to be the top. And just when they were about to reach the top,  he ordered to cut them off. And now, we had to change every single storyline, buildup, whatever it is we were trying all these times, start from the scratch"

"That's rough" Shawn said, agreeing with what Hunter was saying. 

"Yeah. The only thing that is keeping me going is the women's division. At least, Becky and Ayla's feud is going good" Hunter said, a small smile formed at the mention of his daughter's name. His eyes lingered at the photo on his desk, the beautiful smiles of his favorite girls were his pillar of strengths. 

Shawn smiled. "Tell me about it. I swear, my little girl, Cheyenne has like that biggest crush on Ayla and she was so excited that Ayla returned to SmackDown last night." Even the mention of Ayla would brighten up their day. Ayla was such a bundle of joy for them. Sure, they love their other kids as well, but Ayla was definitely special to all of them.