Chapter Seven

"The police station paid off. Alistair Crump," Bruce read from Ben's laptop and I paced, "That name. Where have I heard that name?" Bruce continued, "Very bad man. Very bad." I finally remembered, "He's the son of the cutthroat real estate tycoon, Addison Crump. He was a cruel father who kicked Alistair out of the house when he was just a boy, after claiming Alistair cried to much at his mother's funeral. Said he needed to make him a tougher man. The high society of his father turned its back on Alistair. With no friends and no family, Alistair disappeared into the night."

Bruce nodded, "Years later, following his father's mysterious death, Alistair returned a wealthy tycoon who became famous for throwing lavish parties with the very people who betrayed him. Only many of those guests never made their way out. Whispers grew that Alistair was embroiled in a form of dark magic that required blood sacrifice to maintain his wealth and power. No one ever found the bodies, but after years of abuse, his staff finally rose up against him and beheaded Crump. Just before the axe fell, Alistair vowed revenge on all from beyond the grave. Crump, a murderer in life."

I glared at the newspaper, "A murderer in death. Forturnately his old house was deemed a historical property, up a few hours north. Turned into a bed and breakfast." Bruce pointed at me, "So, we go there, get something of Crump's, and we don't have to die. We got his address." I shook my head, "It's more complicated than that." Something caught my eye and I looked over to see the pen writing again, but this time, I knew it wasn't Mateo. Harriet walked over and gasped, "He's writing to Carmella." 

Gabbie walked over and read the paper, "Carmella, my love, it is time for us to be together. A happy family as you always wanted. Our son, Marcus, me, and you." I started chuckling and everyone looked at me funny as Kent looked nervous, "What's so funny?" I took the paper and shredded it, "Mateo and I were never going to name our son Marcus. It's not Mateo." Ben sighed in relief, "We have to be careful, he's going to try harder to convince Carmella." 

The walls in the library started to rise and the doors and windows turned into walls as Crump chuckled, "Leaving us already?" Bruce waddled towards me, "Gracey! Here's the address! If you and Ben make it out, get to Crump Manor!" I grabbed the paper and handed it to Ben so he could hold onto it in his bag as I helped Travis up from the tent. Crump sounded creepy, "Oh, I do love surprises. And I've got a great one coming up for you." 

Ben stepped in quicksand as I shrieked and carefully stood on top of dynamite. Ben yelled to us as he went over to the wall, "We're trapped, look for a way out!" Travis jumped over to me just in time to miss the crocodiles. I looked around and the painting on the wall of the girl with a parasol nodded over to the gargoyles, "Get to the gargoyles, fast, Mistress Gracey." I grabbed one of the gargoyles and looked at Travis, "Okay, I need you to wrap your arms around my waist tightly and do not let go. Do you understand me, Travis?" Travis nodded and wrapped his arms around my waist. 

I nodded, "Now, imagine that we're family and you're hugging me because you haven't seen me in years. Close your eyes." Travis closed his eyes and did as I said as the gargoyles started going up the wall. I looked down and cursed as the crocs started climbing the wall. Ben called out, "Hey, painting lady, what do we do now?" Ben looked behind him at me, "Mela! We need to climb through the ceiling!" I grabbed Travis' back and grunted as I raised him to the rafters, "Climb, Travis!" 

I climbed up after him and Travis opened a window, crawling out as I helped Ben up, "You okay, Ben?" Ben nodded, "I'm okay. Let's get out of here." We followed Travis and looked down at the ground, Travis pointed, "Look, look, it's Kent!" Ben looked closer, "Oh, Kent! Hey!" Kent didn't sound worried, "I go to my car for five minutes and then can't get back in the house. What happened?" 

Ben hopped down onto another part of the roof and helped Travis down, "That 'cause Crump is trying to keep us here." Ben put his hands on my waist and helped me down, only to stare into my eyes. I blushed and Travis cleared his throat, "As much as this is quite amazing....We have something to do!" Ben flushed and we continued to make our way to the ground. I yelped as I jumped into a bush and fell, Travis looked at me, "Are you okay?" I stood up and brushed off my shirt, "I stepped into a gopher hole." 

The three of us ran over to Kent and Ben looked at him, "I'll drive. Don't worry. We don't have time." Travis and I ran past Kent to the car and Ben looked at Kent speaking quickly, "I'd love to explain to you, but we don't have time! Come on!" Travis sat in between Ben and me as Kent went into the backseat. Vines started creeping towards the car to keep us here and Ben started driving backwards. I grabbed onto Travis as he started freaking out, "I'm too young to die!" The trees started falling as Ben drove and Kent looked freaked out, "The trees are attacking us!" Ben looked at me as Travis kept screaming and holding onto me as Kent was rambling in the backseat.

Ben turned the car around and Kent took a breath, "What's happening?" Ben looked behind us, "We found him. He's not happy. The ghost contacted Carmella pretending to be Mateo and she tore up his note because she knew it wasn't him." Kent pointed in the mirror as he looked beside him, "Well, what about those guys? How can there be four of us back here!?" I looked in the mirror, "Maybe they'll help us like the ones in the paintings.