Chapter Two

"If there's an evil spirit here, only a banishment will do. And let me tell you, it will fight back," Harriet stood in front of us, "Ghosts like to fight. For example, 1813, a group of mediums went into the house just a little north of here. It took twenty-one days. They worked their butts off and they got that deceased owner out of there. But they were all found.....How old are you?" Harriet pointed to Travis and he looked confused, "Nine." Harriet thought about it, "Okay. I'm talkin' organs on the outside." 

Ben looked disgusted, "Oh, come on." Gabbie covered her son's ears, "Nine is young!" Harriet shook her head, "It's not that young, girl. I was drivin' by nine. Look, I know that might have been an extreme example." Gabbie nodded, "Yes!" Harriet waved her hand, "But they were a group of amateurs. I am a professional. Okay? I'm bona fide and qualified, certified, and I can get rid of what died." 

We followed her to the door and Father Kent sighed, "Well, I don't doubt it." Harriet spoke again, "I sensed a lot of grief in this house. And grief, unprocessed, will make a spirit stuck." Father Kent threw his head around, "Okay, well, can you help us unstick them, then?" Harriet nodded, "I can do it. But I would need a week, paid, where I can recharge my crystals and begin doing my research. And then, we can get to it. I'll send you an invoice from PayPal in the meantime. Bye-Bye."

Travis waved to Harriet, hesitantly, "Nice meeting you!" Gabbie shut the door and I sighed, "Well that was a bust. I'd give two hours before she's back." Ben smirked, "You're on. I say an hour." Travis looked at me, "What if Carmel gets rid of the ghost? She is the owner of the mansion after all." I frowned, "Your mom hasn't sold it to me." Gabbie smiled, "After this, you can have it for free." 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The doorbell rang and Father Kent went to go get it, only to hear Harriet, "You didn't tell me that these ghosts be following people!" I laughed and looked over at Ben, "Pay up! It's been two hours!" Ben groaned and slapped some money in my hand, causing me to give it back. Ben frowned, "What?" I snorted, "I just wanted a high five, man." Ben chuckled and pocketed the money, giving me a high five.

Harriet and Kent stood outside, Harriet sounded upset, "I know your mama gots to be disappointed in you. I know she disappointed in you 'cause I'm pretty sure she taught you better than this! I knew this was weird." I lay on the floor next to the couch that Ben was on and we both listened to the conversation. Harriet continued talking as Father Kent led her in, "All these freaky, different-looking people living in the same place."

I looked at Kent from the floor, "How's she doing?" Kent nodded, "She's pissed." Harriet walked into the room, "What you have done is deeply wrong and absolutely unforgivable. The ghost that followed me home was on a horse. Do you have any idea what it's like to have a ghost horse charging through your bedroom? Now, I've decided to be the bigger person and help you. Mostly because you have left me no other options. So, tell me, what happened in this house?"

I pulled out the construction plans for the manor along with my other papers and Gabbie gasped, "Wow, these are beautiful. Were these always in your name, Carmella?" I smiled, "There was a professor that wanted these for a historical reference for his book but I gave him copies and not the originals. I knew that William Gracey was family but none of my family saw the will for who it was supposed to go to. It was only when I was going through my parent's attic that I found the will, deed, and all these other papers." 

Father Kent started explaining, "Come on. Am I proud of the fact that Ben attacked an elderly educator? Of course not. That being said, totally worth it. These papers say what happened in this house. Widower Gracey lost his mind and took his own life." Harriet pointed at him, "Suffering from grief. Didn't I say I sensed grief?" I read from the newspaper, "He spent most of his money on a psychic or something." Harriet pointed at me, "Medium. We're called mediums."

Ben gestured to her, "Oh, a medium. I guess, subsequently after that, sixty-six people moved into this house, and each one of them died a spectacularly terrible, oddly specific death." 

I went over to another newspaper and read, "Two brothers shot each other in a duel. This wife chopped up five of her husbands. Baba must be the key to stopping this. What was the medium's name?" Kent read out, "Um, Madam Leoto, I think." Harriet gasped, "Madame Leota? Madame Leota was the greatest medium ever." I looked around the room and remembered what my Grandpa Edward told me. 

I whispered as I looked around the room, "A painting that hides what you want secret but exposes the outside world." Travis looked at me, "Mom, what is she talking about?" Ben followed me as I walked outside the room, "What's wrong, Carmella?" I continued walking to the end of the hallway and stopped in front of the suit of armor, "The man that stands in front of the painting protects the secrets." I smiled and walked over to the painting of Mama Ellie and stuck my fingers in the eyeholes, opening the door. 

I turned around and everyone stared at me in disbelief. Harriet stared at me, "Who are you?" I smiled, "Carmella Gracey." Harriet gasped, "You must be who the ghost was talking about." Travis looked confused, "What?" Harriet nodded, "They said that Melly was the key. I'm going to assume that's you." I nodded, "Apparently my great-grandfather told my grandpa when he was young to name his only great-granddaughter, Carmella. I was called Melly by everyone." Harriet hummed, "I wonder why you are the key."