Chapter Three

All of us walked into the seance room and I looked around as Ben lit up the room with the oil trick. Gabbie looked around, "This hasn't been touched in centuries." Kent walked forward, "Maybe I'll just do a little blessing. A prayer to get us started on the right foot." We all sat down at the table and I sat at the chair where Baba would have sat as Kent started the blessing, "God, give us a break. We..We don't want to be haunted, and it just seems like there are so many bad people in the world. Haunt them." 

Ben glanced at me as I looked at Kent with a 'what the hell' look as he continued, "How about an amen at the count of three? One, two, three, amen!" Travis whispered to his mother, "Are you sure he's a priest?" Harriet looked around, "Now if I can communicate with William Gracey, I suspect he will have the answers that we need. And just to confirm, the only thing available to us is the French Vanilla Yankee Candle?" 

Gabbie nodded, "Yeah, I keep forgetting...to cancel my subscription to Amazon, so it just...." Harriet interrupted, "Please, hold hands." We all held hands and Harriet looked at all of us, "Now, I will quiet my mind so that I can communicate with the other side. Please do not interrupt me. Otherwise, I have to start all over again." We all nodded and Harriet looked at me, "If there is no answer, Carmella, I ask you to intervene and try and connect. You are the blood relative of William Gracey."

Harriet started her thing but started snoring causing Ben to chuckle and glance at me as I tried not to laugh. Ben chuckled, "She asleep. Look. She asleep." Kent shook his head, "No, no, no. She's in a...Hey, she's in a trance. It's a...Wait, is she asleep?" Ben nodded, "She's asleep." I started giggling as Harriet looked at them, "Can I do this!? Now you got me all mad! Melly, stop laughing!" 

I calmed down and took a breath, "We're sorry. Please become peaceful again." Harriet started snoring again causing everyone to sigh, but freak out when she yelled, "Who goes there!? Spirits, I come here with good intent. I summon the spirit of William Gracey. If you are here with us, give us a sign!" The wind started howling and the candles above lit up as I looked around. Harriet opened her eyes, "He's with us. Why are you here? Why are you hanging on? If you have a message that you'd like to leave us or a greeting of sorts, here's a pen and pad that I purchased from CVS."

I gasped softly as the pen started writing, "Baba?" I watched as the pen started writing and I smiled. "Ben, camera," Travis said and Ben took the photo, showing it to me, "It's Gracey." Harriet sighed, "He's gone." Gabbie looked at Travis, "What does it say?" Travis read it out, "Melly. Talk to Leota. You are our only hope. Love, Baba." I teared up and smiled as Ben looked at Harriet, "You really can speak to the dead." 

Harriet shakily took a sip of water, "Of course." Ben looked like he could cry, "Can you contact someone for me?" Harriet leaned forward, "Who?" Ben took off a necklace and kissed the ring, "My wife." I frowned and grabbed my left hand, remembering how I was when my husband was murdered. Harriet frowned, "You were the grieving spirit." Ben smiled slightly, "Her name's Alyssa." Harriet sighed, "I'm sorry. I can't. I don't think she's here." Travis looked at her, "Could you see if Leota's here?"

The door slammed shut and I looked at the monitors as a dark cloud started forming. Harriet frowned in fear, "This feels different." Gabbie looked around, "What does this feel like?" Harriet looked at me, "Madness." I heard the ghost chuckling and Ben took a picture, only for the camera to fly out of his hands and crumble into pieces on the ground." Gabbie looked at Harriet, "Harriet, summon Leota!" Harriet gestured to me, "Carmella needs to do so!" 

Before I could even talk, I was thrown out of my chair as the ghost bellowed, "No!" The ghost carried Harriet out of the house with everyone following her. I growled and stood up in the seance room, "I will summon Madam Leota. You will not stop me from that." The ghost chuckled, "Ah, the Gracey Heir. I've been waiting for you for a while. We'll see how far you get. Especially since your husband is here." I ignored the ghost and walked outside the seance room and paced the room we were safe in, waiting for everyone to get back.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I held my head in my hands, holding onto the note that Baba wrote. Harriet looked at me, "Carmella. What grief are you experiencing?" I sighed shakily, "My husband was murdered.  I accepted his death and thought he would have been at peace. But he's here." Gabbie frowned, "How do you know?" I took a breath, "When we had heard that Gracey Manor might have been in my name, Mateo, came here looking for evidence that it belonged to me. When he never came back, I told the police where he was and they came here, only to find that Mateo had been murdered. I didn't continue looking for evidence that this place was mine until Gabbie and Travis were living here. I decided to come to see if they were alive since the police couldn't find any signs of another person at my husband's murder. I fully believed that wherever my husband was, he was at peace, but the ghost said that he was here and I fully believe that since he kicked Harriet out. If this ghost is the one that Baba and every other ghost is scared of, I believe it."