Fire Is The Test Of Gold

Everyone's attention was on Joongi. He finished the 500 meters first and came in second in the 1,500 meters, before finishing second again in the 1,000 meters, ultimately topping the standings and booking a spot on the national team with 88 points.

It was an expected result and no one doubted the veteran but it was still an outstanding execution considering his age, a big feature in their sport. Thus, this makes all the regard shift to the youngest. If Joongi can dash, then Junho must bolt through.

Somehow, Junho was tied at 81 points with someone from the other city. There was one slot left for the men's team and seemed to have a little chance of gaining a spot after slipping in the 500 and 1,000 meter race. He must finish first overall on the fourth bracket for him to be able to compete in both the individual and team competition alongside Joongi, and other skaters named Donggok, Daehwi, and Eunhyuk. 

If not, he will only earn a priority to compete at international team events, or else, be able to compete on the international stage in the event that one of the top five skaters cannot participate.

Siwon on the other hand, was only participating on the individual 500 meter race. He was recovering from an injury, and being qualified for it was already beyond expectation.

The atmosphere around the rink has become more tense during the thirty-minute break, and Joongi was looking for where Junho to cheer him up.

However, there were voices from the same side he was avoiding since earlier. 

"Sora noona is just saying whatever she wants," Siwon chuckled. 

"No but he keeps falling behind! There was at least five meters of a gap each time," the girl complained. She added, "You shouldn't provoke when you can't keep it up or do it."

Junho just leaned on the fence, exhausted. 

"I'm so tired, I don't know if I can make it," was all he could say.

"If you're gonna say that you shouldn't have came here in the first place!" Sora told him.

"Yeah, but why are you so heavy today? Does anything hurt or something?" Siwon turned a little more serious. Because even him, he knew that Junho has to push to his limits for final match.

"His stamina sucks," Sora answered.

"Siwon hyung was asking me, not you!" Junho bantered.

"And so? I told you to do more cardio and reduce recovery time! What have you been doing all summer?" the girl said. 

Just as when Sora was going to say more, Joongi glided towards them. He just can't take the nagging anymore. He worried that Junho might feel threatened, confused, or angered. Nagging and criticism can be destructive to the person receiving it, impacting their confidence and self-esteem with something that is just someone's opinion.

Besides, his sister's not a short track skater anyway, why does she have a lot to say to him?

"Sorry, but your criticisms are uncalled for. Junho trained with me, and he's been doing well," he told her. He said, "Instead you should be encouraging him because he's doing good."

Joongi believes that 'tough love' or strict coaching or whatever you call it is never necessary. It does not build or develop or assist or support. It is not motivational. Calling it 'constructive' is a fallacy. 

He's convinced that encouragement is like light in a dark room. It protects one from fear, from self-doubt, from anxiety, from disenchantment, from feeling deflated or disheartened.

Criticism makes the person not understand the value they can bring, when encouragement makes one feel a sense of commitment and motivation.

"Excuse me, but who are you?" Sora asked.

"I should be asking, who are you?" Joongi emphasized. He also added, "You've been talking nonsense since earlier and it's honestly annoying to hear you say stuff you don't even know about to my dongsaeng."

Sora kept an eye contact. She swore, she's never seen a man defy her like that. She kept quiet, continued looking at him, and took a deep breath. Her eyes continued to stare at him and she wanted to keep looking to see how long this jerk can keep it up, but she had to take a good look at her brother.

"Ya," she started. Standing up, she told her brother, "Take yourself home."

With one last look at Joongi, Sora smirked, turned around, and left the box. She put her hood on and went to walk out of the rink.  

After knowing that her figure has completely disappeared, Joongi turned around to see Siwon in a laughing shock. Junho, though, immediately grumbled, "Ay, hyung, why'd you do that?"

"What?" he asked innocently.

"I can't commute going home tonight, I'm super tired! We're not occupying the dorm until the final announcement of the national team next month!" he whined.

"Why? I can drive you home!" Joongi protested.

"But you ask for gas money!" Junho finally said, making Siwon laugh out loud. 

All the other athletes who's close with Park Joongi know very well how stingy he is. He doesn't treat his juniors to meal and may them pay for the little things they ask of him for. But thanks to that, the three of them are laughing. 

Joongi glanced at Junho quickly who was also laughing at his own ridiculous but frank comment, and he was relieved to see that somehow, a bit of his rigidness melted away.

He told them, "Hey, seriously, don't worry about anything. I'll take you home. But I really, really need you to make it to the team with me."

Junho looked at Joongi. For the first time today, the corner of his lips curled warmly. 

Perfectionism and immense pressure has been put on Junho's shoulders ever since. Being a promising skater in his early years, people predicted that he will peak in the twenties with ferocious energy, and thus was expected to steer and forefront the short track national team. It was overwhelming to receive support, but it was taking a toll on himself.

"You can easily do it, you're just pressured and doubting right now. Just do what you always do," he told him, pulling him for a quick hug so he can caress his back and make him relax.

Without a doubt, Junho's body was tensed. Joongi patted his back, then his shoulders, and his arms. 

"Promise you won't ask for gas money?" Junho finally remarked, to which Joongi playfully pushed him as Siwon did too.

Finally, Joongi can relax and just hope for the best. He trusts Junho, and he just knows he can get through it with his strength and potential. And with the upcoming start of his fourth Winter Games just around the corner, he can't wait to find out how he will feel when it's all said and done.