6 | Undone

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

As the formar Queen of Udaipur pronounced her unexpected decree, the weight of her words hung heavy in the air, suffocating Devanshi with a sense of inevitability. The mere thought of marrying Shubman, after all that had transpired, felt like a cruel twist of fate—a punishment she could barely comprehend.

Dev fled from the throne room, her footsteps echoing through the empty corridors of the palace as she sought refuge in her chambers. Once inside, she slammed the door and collapsed onto her bed, the tears streaming down her cheeks in a torrent of anguish and regret.

Alone in the darkness, Devanshi's mind raced with a whirlwind of conflicting emotions—fear, anger, sorrow, and a gnawing sense of loneliness that threatened to consume her whole. How could she marry a man she barely knew, a man whose heart she had broken without remorse?

Her phone began to ring, Devanshi ignored it, and put it on silent.

Her fingers trembling as she reached for the cherished photograph of her parents that hung on the accent wall. With a heavy sigh, she traced their faces, her heart aching with longing for the comfort and guidance they could no longer provide.

"I'm sorry, Ma, Papa," she whispered, her voice a hoarse murmur in the silence of the room. "I'm so sorry for everything—for letting you down, for tarnishing the legacy you worked so hard to build."

As the night wore on, She found herself ensnared in the clutches of a restless sleep. Her tears dried up and the relentless sobs exhausted her weak form

And as she tossed and turned beneath the weight of her regrets, her mind returned again and again to the memory of Shubman, his eyes filled with hurt and betrayal as she turned her back on him without a second thought. How could she face him now, knowing the pain she had inflicted upon him?

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

As the first rays of dawn pierced through the curtains, Devanshi stirred from her slumber, her eyes heavy with the weight of a sleepless night. Before she could fully gather her thoughts, there was a gentle knock at her door, and Kritika, her sister-in-law, entered with a tray of breakfast in hand.

"Good morning, Dev," Kritika greeted, her voice warm with concern as she placed the tray on the bedside table. "I brought you some breakfast. Chal jaldi se kha le. Kal se kuch nahi khaya."

She shook herhead earning a glare form her bhabhi. She managed a weak smile of gratitude as she accepted the tray, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and warm omelette soothed her. "Thank you, Bhabhi," she murmured, her voice barely above a whisper.

Kritika settled herself on the edge of the bed, her gaze softening with empathy as she regarded her sister with tender concern. "Dev, I know things have been difficult lately," she began, her words gentle yet tinged with a note of urgency. "But we need to talk."

She nodded. "We... we spoke to Shubman and his parents last night," she confessed, her words careful and measured. "They agreed to come over for the roka ceremony in a week's time." Kritika took her hand in hers.

Devanshi's heart skipped a beat at the mention of Shubman's name. Kritika gently squeeze Devanshi's hand, her expression one of silent solidarity. "Dev, I know this is difficult for you," she murmured, her voice tinged with empathy. "I think, thode dino ke lie apni masi ke ghar jaogi to accha lagega tumhe. Padmnabh got to know it through Avyaan. And he told us to send you there immediately."

Devanshi's eyes widened in surprise at the mention of her cousin's invitation, "I'll pack my clothes for a five days trip." She declared. "I haven't been there since almost a year."