Chapter 4.14 - Serenity 2

Comenzar desde el principio

"Yes, they had quite the tally between the two of them. Do you feel that's because of their power level or their synergy?"

"Probably both. The first time I encountered the two of them, they were sparring in an abandoned building. They're clearly experienced with their abilities and with each other. But they're also powerful. Both of them are easily Class two, if not three."

A flicker of a frown passed across Ryder's face. "Do you feel they're stronger than the last time you engaged them?"

"Yes."

"We had reason to believe that Arsenal's exosuit was a late-stage design... Perhaps our artificers missed some other explanation. And Mod, you're sure he was stronger?"

Serenity nodded. "As I said, I saw him fight. Not only are his abilities superhuman, he also has the tech to back it up. He has far more abilities, gadgets, and options at his disposal than most artificers." Serenity paused before adding, "And he believes that he's gotten stronger, significantly stronger."

"He relishes power..."

"I don't think—"

"Artificers are notorious for mucking things up," Ryder mused. "They're prideful, arrogant... But technology can be taken away. That's what they fail to realize—until it's too late.

"Mod is another matter entirely. His unique mix of biology and technology presents a problem. He seems unopposed to killing, and might pursue power at any cost. These are the same reasons we have limits on AI research and checks on hive-minds... An unfettered, unchecked mind is terribly dangerous."

Serenity kept quiet. She didn't agree with Ryder. Serenity hadn't had much time with Mod, but she'd probed his surface thoughts. He may be adept as an artificer, but he wouldn't be good enough to hide his mind from her.

Mod had killed The Freakshow—several of them. The events were fresh and heavy in his mind. It was not something done idly, like Ryder suggested. Serenity wasn't even sure she disagreed with the outcome. The Freakshow were going to be put down, one way or the other—it didn't really matter whether it was after a public trial or in secret by the Menagerie.

But... Mod did want to get stronger. Serenity had felt that, too. But again, Ryder was wrong. What Serenity felt wasn't a narcissistic hunger for power. She'd felt an idealistic yearning to make a difference. She'd felt a powerless youth desiring meaningful, systemic change.

When Serenity scanned Mod's mind, she'd felt the drive of a hero, not the emptiness of a villain. Serenity liked to think that she'd scanned enough supers to know the difference, but she'd been wrong before.

Ryder stared at her expectantly. She didn't have to read her boss's mind to know that.

Serenity steeled herself. "I think Mod is a valuable member of the Summit."

Another flicker of expression passed across Ryder's face, far too quickly to discern. "Your input is noted."

"Will that be all?"

"How is your partner doing? I hear he's still in the hospital."

"I don't think that's relev—"

"How is he?"

Serenity suppressed a shiver. "Hunter Nine suffered several broken bones and internal bleeding. He's also suffering mental trauma and is refusing counseling.

"It seems like you understand the Summit's concern about the cyborg."

"He also stalked—"

Ryder spoke steadily over her. "You are to continue supervising Mod and Arsenal and to continue surface monitoring. I understand that will be difficult with Arsenal's suit, but take any opportunity you are given. Also, if Mod and Arsenal encounter any difficulties in the field, you will not aid them."

"...What if their lives are on the line?"

"We're at war, Serenity. Communication is a priority target. If they get ambushed, do not help them. Do I make myself clear?"

Serenity's stomach turned. She nodded.

"Good. The higher-ups are using this as an evaluation—either Mod and Arsenal make it on their own—prove their worth and their loyalty—or they die and save everyone a lot of trouble."

"Will that be all?"

"Yes. You are dismissed."

Serenity didn't stand right away. She stared through the illusion of her boss and eyed the resonance crystal.

In addition to communication, the crystals had several lesser known uses. One of which was memory manipulating. Memories could be transferred from one psychic to another, or even erased completely. Some psychics could do this without a crystal, but it was like looking in a mirror to fix your hair—it made the process infinitely easier.

The second use of the resonating crystals was to temper emotions and reinvigorate the mind. A few seconds of focused contact with the crystal could provide the same benefit as extended meditation or a quick nap. As long as those benefits weren't abused, infrequent use of a resonating crystal was healthy for a psychic. It did, however, taint the crystal and would eventually wear it out.

"Ryder, can I use the crystal?"

"Wait until the connection is severed. Then you have permission."

Ryder disappeared and, a few moments, later the soft glow of the crystal faded completely, marking the end. In those few moments, Serenity heard the thoughts of the other person in the room—

The laughter of several people. A choir idle between songs, laughing in unison. The sensation came and went quickly, like Serenity had stumbled into the wrong room and hurriedly backed out and shut the door.

The breath caught in her throat and she felt cold and small, like a child who had unknowingly witnessed something far beyond themselves—Mom and the neighbor wrestling. Her dog, foaming at the mouth. Grandma taking a nap on the floor. Her twin brother pointing Daddy's gun at her.

Ryder told her to wait. Now Serenity knew why: Ryder hadn't wanted her to connect to whoever else was in the room with him.

Serenity's breaths came fast and ragged. Her arms felt so heavy she could barely lift them, but she lunged for the crystal.

She chose to forget the voices, the laughter, and that stomach turning feeling of dread. All of it.

Mercifully, the crystal sucked it all away, just as she asked. Leaving Serenity with only a cold sweat and the feeling that she'd done that before.

~ ~ ~