Motherhood Approaches

"What a day..." Mei sighed as she sat down in the living room, one of her best furry friends sitting next to her in order to make up for lost time.

The stress of travel and the worries of arriving home were the least bit of her concerns. Mei had spent weeks with excitement in her stomach as a bundle of joy grew in Yuzus'. On their way home it hit differently, they had agreed to tell their family rather than hold off. Meaning tonight they were finally gonna announce their pregnancy.

Mei didn't think for even a moment that everyone wouldn't be supportive, far from it. She knew everyone would be happy for them. Still, it didn't help the anxiety of their announcement or make it any easier.

Fortunately their announcement couldn't have gone better. Everyone seemed so genuinely happy for them to be starting a family, it was very reassuring for them to hear how much their family wanted to help.

"Here." Yuzu placed a cup of tea next to Mei.

"Hm? Oh you should have said something, I would've gotten it." Mei suggested.

"Nah don't worry, I'm not incapable just yet." Yuzu joined her wife on the table. "Give me a few months and I'm gonna need all the help I can get."

Like clockwork Yuzu began nuzzling up to Mei, the chairwoman naturally adjusting her arm to accommodate and wrap around Yuzu. A typical song and dance for the lovers.

"I wouldn't exactly say you're capable either." Mei teased.

"Watch it, you." Yuzu tried a stern voice. Not one she'd use for the students but one that tried to have a good mix of seriousness and love. "Ehehe, how was that?"

"How was that...?" Mei asked.

"It was my "mom" voice." Yuzu giggled albeit slightly embarrassed. "What did you think?"

"A mom voice?" Mei was perplexed at such an idea. But looking back Ume did always have a sweeter tone with them than say a stranger or a random person on the street. It did seem like something they would need soon, so Mei decided this conversation was worth taking more seriously.

"Very well." Mei said after a sip of tea. "Please try it again, this time I'll be much more attentive."

"Uhm.." Yuzu was half kidding about the voice. Yes she wanted to develop tone but wasn't actually looking for a critique. "Alright."

"Ahem!" Yuzu cleared her throat. "Young man, I told you to clean your room. Hurry up and when you're done we'll take you to the park."

"Ahaha." Mei chuckled lightly, her hand covering her mouth in a terrible attempt to hide it.

"Eh?" Yuzu asked. "Was it that bad?"

"No, I mean it was good." Mei clarified. "You just reminded me of myself back in high school."

"A respectable young woman?" Yuzu asked, sounding a bit too full of herself. Of course Mei had to take the opportunity to tease her a little.

"Too serious, try relaxing." Mei kissed the top of Yuzus' head. "You're good at that."

"You make it easy." Yuzu nuzzled against Mei, enjoying the scent of her shampoo.

"I'll try my best." Mei held Yuzu snuggly. "If you need anything just ask...I can't imagine how difficult this will be so I'll do whatever I can to make your life easier."

......this was the 10th? No, 15th time Yuzu has heard a similar speech from Mei. Not that she minds, if anything Yuzu appreciated Meis' determination to support her.

"In truth I feel rather useless." Mei confessed. "I know my feelings may not matter as much in this situation but I..."

"Don't say that." Yuzu sat up to face her wife. "We're a team, your feelings aren't less valid because I'm the one growing our baby."