- chapter 26 -

CORDELIA

"I never thought we'd end up here," Finnick sighed, gazing at the city lights below. It was late, the sun long disappeared behind the tall buildings of the Capitol, bright and colourful lights illuminating the streets.

"How did you imagine our lives going?" Cordelia asked, but she focused on the streets below. There were parties almost everywhere she looked. Currently, Alphinea was attending one, Cinna had let her know when he'd come to see her after the interview. According to the apprentice, her whole prep team and some of Elliot's were out too. It wasn't uncommon for tribute stylists to flaunt themselves and their designs, especially when their tribute was in the 'Capitol favourite' category. She would have liked to see Alphinea before tomorrow.

"We'd be living on the beach, just doing whatever we wanted." Looking at Finnick, Cordelia saw a whistful look on his face. "There wouldn't be any danger, no threats to our lives." He looked at her. "You'd be happy, you'd be safe." The last part was spoken so softly that Cordelia wasn't sure if she'd heard him correctly.

"And Mags? Where does she fit in?"

"In with us, or next door. I'm not sure she could handle us all the time," Cordelia tilted her head at Finnick's answer. "Handle me all the time." He corrected. "We would have freedom to do whatever, whenever."

The conversation trailed off as the both of them continued to focus on the Capitolites scurrying around below. Watching them laugh without a care in the world, free to do as they pleased outside. Meanwhile, Finnick and Cordelia were stuck inside the tribute center, forced to watch from in the nook of a window. It almost didn't feel real. These people were so cheerful, yet in less than twenty-four hours the games would have begun. Children fighting against other children. Over the course of the next week or so, twenty-three of the twenty-four tributes would be dead. Whether they would be killed or not was still up in the air. But the fact that they would be dead remained.

Noticing movement Cordelia looked up, Finnick had shifted in his position and was now working to move her to be in front of him, nestled between his legs and in his arms. Smiling, Cordelia helped, moving into the position on her own. She leaned back against his chest and felt his heartbeat. A slight pressure on her head let Cordelia know Finnick was resting his head atop hers. His arms encircled her waist and the instant feeling of safety was comforting. Plus Finnick was warm, just like the sun-soaked sand on the beaches back home. With the newfound warmth and feeling of protection, combined with the late hour, Cordelia was more than ready to fall asleep. The colours outside started to blend together, and keeping her eyes open became more and more of a struggle.

"Finnick," Cordelia whispered, "Promise me something."

"Anything." His response was strong and came quickly.

"When I'm in that arena, I want you to remember something." Her words came out slowly, sleep creeping in. "Well, you have to know it to remember it..."

"Spit it out, Delia." Finnick encouraged. Cordelia yawned.

"I love you Finn, have for a while. I won't have another chance to tell you before I go in... I needed to tell you before." It took a moment for Finnick to process.

"I love you too Delia," Finnick responded, kissing the top of her head. "Can I ask you to promise something?"

"Ask away." She mumbled, on the verge of staying awake and falling asleep.

"Win."

...

˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙

Secrets of the Sea | Finnick OdairOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara