Borrower's guide to hunting

Chapter 5: Borrowers guide to hunting

Sage perched on Mackenzie's broad shoulder, her tiny hands gripping his parka for balance. Below, the giant man crept through the underbrush, focused intently on a rabbit nibbling at some grass. But his approach was clumsy, snapping twigs underfoot. The rabbit's ears twitched and it bounded away into the brush.

Mackenzie sighed and stood up. "I'm no good at this," he muttered.

Sage patted his cheek. "It's okay. I can help." She'd hunted often back home and knew how to move quickly and quietly. "You have to lead the target, aim where it's going to be."

Mackenzie huffed in amusement. "Oh? Do you often hunt rabbits?" Mackenzie knows full well the tiny borrower would be too small to take down a rabbit, but the mental image of multiple tiny people taking down a rabbit is amusing to him.

"Well, no but I've helped my family hunt other things, like bugs and small rodents like mice and rats. I know how to hunt!" Sage sassed. "If I was big like you, I'd easily get the rabbit for you."

Mackenzie smiled at the tiny girl, and he tried again, following her advice. He tried again, slowing his breathing as he lined up the shot. The arrow sailed past once more.

Sage patted his breaded cheek again. "You're still too loud. Walk lighter, more careful-like."

Crouching low, he circled the clearing. His steps made little sound. Sage held her breath as the rabbit hopped back into view. Mackenzie froze, then pulled back his bow, and this time the arrow struck home.

Mackenzie secured the rabbit and continued stalking through the woods. With Sage's guidance, he managed to snare two more plump rabbits. The tiny borrower girl was proving quite useful, and Mackenzie found himself growing fond of his miniature companion.

As dusk fell, the air turned biting cold. Mackenzie gently lifted Sage from his shoulder and placed her inside his chest pocket. "There you go, nice and warm," he said.

Sage hesitated, then burrowed into the pocket's fleecy warmth. She could feel the steady thump of Mackenzie's heartbeat surrounding her. It was comforting and made her feel safe. Mackenzie seemed happy too, a contented smile on his bearded face as he looked for good shelter.

Sage nestled deeper into the giant's pocket as the wind picked up. She could feel Mackenzie's body heat radiating around her, a welcome respite from the bitter chill. Despite her wariness, Sage felt a swell of gratitude toward the man who had shown her kindness. He could have easily crushed or eaten her, as she'd been taught all humans would. Yet he protected her and shared his food and shelter. She still didn't fully trust him, but maybe humans weren't all monsters.

Mackenzie glanced down at the tiny bulge in his pocket and smiled. He could feel Sage burrow closer to him. He was thankful for the companionship, small as it was.

Mackenzie sighed in frustration; he was having trouble finding a good shelter. He needed to get a fire going before full dark fell. Crouching, he packed snow against the frame of sticks and cloth. The makeshift shelter was far from perfect, but twilight was deepening, and they could not afford to be exposed to the harsh elements any longer. He glanced at Sage, tucked securely in his coat pocket.

"Almost ready," he murmured, more to himself than to the tiny girl. With a final pat on the compacted snow wall, he turned to make a fire just outside of his snow shelter. He assembled some kindling and struck his flint, coaxing a small flame to life. Its warmth was welcome.