✧ a pin drop and medical jargon ✧

*** WARNING: this chapter contains very triggering subjects that may be distressful for some readers. reader discretion is advised. ***

"bokuto, don't come into the school! go somewhere safe, now!" akaashi had shouted through the phone. the commotion in the background along with akaashi's frantic voice raises alarm in bokuto. 

when akaashi says that, he is in the main corridor of fukurodani, and the scene in front of him is absolutely horrific. there is a rush of terrorized screaming and sobbing students exiting the building left and right. the sirens of the fire alarm and the rapid firing of pops can be heard from outside. it doesn't take a genius to figure out what is happening, but it takes a miracle to understand why this is happening. 

bokuto, against his better judgment, wants to dart into the school to make sure akaashi is safe and help get him out of there. but he knows better; his attempt would be futile, and akaashi would never forgive him if something happened to him. 

instead, he turns around and sprints straight to akaashi's house. the fear running through his body is indescribable, and the thoughts of what could be happening inside make him feel sick. 

when bokuto reaches akaashi's house, he frantically knocks on the door until yukie opens the door. "bokuto, what is going on? why are you banging on our door?" she seems irritated until she realizes the significance of his sudden presence.

the screaming...the alarms...the gunfire...it can all be heard clear as day from the front door. 

"no time!" bokuto pants, his speech almost garbled and very panicked. "you and amber need to leave the house and get far away from here now!"

no questions were asked from there. yukie and bokuto rush in and grab amber from her bed where she is taking her nap. she wakes up startled and frustrated, trying to put a bit of a fight about being quickly removed from her slumber. yukie just picks her up, covering her head to mask her eyes from what is happening outside, and shoves her into the car.

bokuto quickly tells yukie that he will stay at the house, so he can make sure akaashi is okay. yukie didn't agree at first, but bokuto didn't put up with an argument. he just motions her to leave and drive as fast as she can. she didn't have time to properly secure amber in the car seat, but once she was far enough away, she would pull over to do so. 

bokuto shelters back into akaashi's house, watching the chaos unfold like a horror movie through the window. his face is cold and pale while is body trembles and perspirates. seeing classmates flee is like watching the apocalypse through glass. every sound, every vibration, every emotion...he can feel it inside of him like he is still at the school.

little did bokuto realize, akaashi never hung up the phone. he can hear everything that is happening at fukurodani. what terrified him the most was when he heard akaashi grunt loudly with the sound of an impact, a loud gunshot, and the phone line going dead.

"AKAASHI!"

***

akaashi is standing on the toilet in the main men's bathroom, cowering and flinching at the horrid sound of gunshots outside. his quivering fingers are drilling into his ears in a fruitless attempt to block out the horrendous noise. his breathing is heavy and ragged, a cold sweat beading from his forehead. inside the stall, he can smell the potent aroma of sulfur, smoke, and fear. 

i need to get out of here. i need to escape. i need to get home and make sure amber and yukie are okay. is bokuto okay? where did he go? oh my god, i need to get out of here.

his surroundings begin to go quiet; the sound of a pin drop can be heard. he waits for a few seconds or so to be sure, and once he still doesn't hear a sound, he makes his escape for the exit.