Chapter five: The Regent, ruler of the Wata Kamioris Queendom

The grand hall of the Moon Palace was buzzing with anticipation as the nobles of Wata Kamioris and guests from faraway lands awaited the arrival of the mysterious princess. She was said to be the one who had killed her parents at a young age, and had been hidden away ever since.

Kamari and Yuzuki entered the hall, crossing the threshold that separated them from the rest of the world. Kamari's heart was pounding with fear and apprehension. Today was her coming of age ceremony, a momentous occasion that would reveal her true identity to the kingdom. She knew her aunt and her cousins dreaded this day, as they feared what she might become. Kamari felt the weight of her destiny hanging heavily on her shoulders, a burden she had carried in secret for far too long. Beside her, Yuzuki walked with quiet determination, her presence a reassuring anchor in the sea of uncertainty.

As Kamari made her way through the throng, a hush fell over the hall. The only sounds that were heard were her and Yuzuki's footsteps echoing against the marble floor and the sound of Joho music playing in the background . Kamari felt their gaze on her, their eyes filled with curiosity and wonder. Kamari could hear whispers rippling through the air like leaves caught in a gentle breeze. People turned to one another as they beheld the newcomer in their midst, a girl they had never seen before, a girl who looked like no one else.

A man who was surrounded by a group of nobles wearing the attire of the Akutsuki monarch leaned in to one of his companions, murmuring in hushed tones as he gestured towards Kamari.

'Who is she?' he whispered, his voice filled with wonder and awe.

His companion shrugged, their eyes fixed on Kamari with a mix of awe and curiosity. 'I'm not sure,' they whispered, barely audible. 'I've never seen her before. Not at our gatherings, not at school, not even at the balls here. But there's something about her, something...regal.'

Around them, the crowd was buzzing with whispers and rumours. Some wondered about Kamari's origins, her lineage, and her rank. Others admired her beauty, her grace, her poise.

Kamari had lived a secluded life, confined to her quarters by her aunt's orders. She had never been allowed to roam the palace halls, or to mingle with others. Her aunt had made sure that she was educated and trained in the etiquette and protocols of the "noble", but her teachers were not the same ones who taught the other noble children. Kamari had always felt grateful for their guidance and kindness, and today she was eager to put their lessons into practice. Today, she was ready to face the world.
As Kamari walked deeper into the hall, heads turned to follow her, their eyes still shining with wonder and interest. But amid the whispers and speculation, one thing was clear, there was something irresistible about Kamari, something that drew people to her like moths to a flame. And as she moved through the crowd with a calm and confident demeanour, she left behind a trail of intrigue and fascination in her wake.

But just as she was starting to enjoy the feeling of newfound confidence, her aunt arrived.

The head butler, Madame Nokomis, was a woman of impeccable demeanor and unwavering loyalty to the throne. Her silver hair was neatly combed, and her uniform bore the insignia of the royal palace. She had served generations of different monarchs, and today, she carries the weight of tradition on her shoulders.

'Hear ye, hear ye! Noble, esteemed, and loyal subjects, gather close!' She announced, clearing her throat. She raised her voice and proclaimed, 'Regent ruler Eleena Kadake Hala, accompanied by his and her highnesses, princess Badar and prince Badru!'

As the doors swung open, revealing the regal figures, the crowd bowed low. The air hummed with reverence. Madame Nokomis stepped aside, allowing the regent ruler to glide forward. The grand hall stood hushed, its marble floors echoing the weight of centuries. The nobles, draped in silks and brocades, shifted nervously. Their whispered conversations ceased abruptly as the regent ruler's footsteps echoed through the cavernous space. The regent ruler's gown was a cascade of ebony black that trailed behind her like a river of stars. The fabric whispered the secrets of ancient battles and alliances. The crimson rubies on the royal crown took centre stage, forming crescent shapes reminiscent of a waxing moon. They caught the light, casting shards of brilliance across the room. The regent ruler's eyes, the colour of storm clouds, swept over the assembly. Some member of the three monarchs felt the weight of her gaze, as if she could see into their very souls. She moved with the grace of a predator, every step deliberate, every gesture a command. Badar and Badru walked beside her, one on her right and the other on her left. They matched her poise and authority, but as their eyes fell upon Kamari, a flicker of surprise crossed their features. They quickly masked it with cold indifference. Kamari's aunt watched her with narrowed eyes as Kamari moved gracefully through the crowd, her steps light and effortless, like a dancer moving to a silent melody.

Kamari felt the weight of the regent queen and Badar's stares as she stood in the hall, wearing a gown that sparkled like the stars and chatted away with a few of the gathered nobles. The dress she wore was worthy of a princess, with every stitch and bead reflecting the talent of the queendom's best seamstress. The dress enhanced Kamari's natural beauty, making her look like a goddess of the moon and the sea.

'Look at our cousin, would you?' Badru whispered, snickering at his mother and sister, who glared at Kamari with envy and disdain. 'She must have some friends outside the palace.'

'It seems my niece has been anticipating this day,' Kamari's aunt muttered, loud enough for her children to hear.

They all took their seats at the ceremonial table, where Kamari's aunt, the regent and the eighteenth ruler of the Haiiro monarchy sat, a wooden throne decorated with silver and blue. She was the leader and the grand princess of the Haiiro, the rulers of the sky, who had the power over the weather, the wind, and the moonlight. All the nobles who attended, as well as Kamari and Yuzuki, relaxed their shoulders and resumed their normal postures. But Kamari felt a chill as she met her aunt's eyes, which had turned cold and dark. Her aunt gestured for her to come closer, and Kamari obeyed with reluctance.

Kamari and Yuzuki walked gracefully to the table, ignoring the hostile stares from the others. Yuzuki leaned in and whispered, 'You've got this.' Yuzuki smiled softly, trying to reassure Kamari. They reached the table, where Kamari's aunt sat on a throne of wood, silver, and blue. She was the regent and the third in line to the Haiiro throne, the sky rulers who controlled the weather, the wind, and the moonlight. She looked at Kamari with a sneer, her voice dripping with scorn.

'Well, well, well,' she said, cutting through the silence like a blade. 'Look who decided to grace us with her presence.'

Kamari bowed her head slightly, but not too low. She didn't want to show fear or submission. 'Your Grace, Your Highnesses,' she said, her voice calm and steady. She moved across the floor, her dress shimmering like the stars. She stopped in front of the table, facing the people who called themselves her family. 'Thank you for hosting such a splendid ceremony and feast in my honour.'

'Really?' Badar said, raising her eyebrows. She eyed Kamari and Yuzuki with a predatory gaze. She noticed Kamari's dress, the exquisite craftsmanship and the fine material. She wondered how she had gotten it made outside the palace. 'Tell me, Kamari, how did you manage to dress up so nicely while locked up in the palace?' She tossed her hair over her shoulder and rested her elbow on the table, her lips forming a smirk. She looked at her mother, hoping she would join her in taunting Kamari.

Kamari didn't flinch at Badar's words, even though they stung like fire. She kept her face serene, like a still lake. She looked at her aunt and cousin with a defiant glare. 'I have no idea what you're implying or talking about, cousin,' Kamari said, her voice cold and confident. She went on, 'If you're so concerned about the dress, it was made by the aide that your mother—oh, I'm sorry, I meant Her Grace—was kind enough to assign me. I'm sure Yuzuki would be happy to make a new dress for you, cousin. I would make sure to check every detail.' Kamari paused and smiled. 'We wouldn't want any poison to spoil the fabric.'

Badar caught the hidden meaning in Kamari's words, and so did Kamari's aunt and Badru, who chuckled to himself, amused by the spectacle and impressed by Kamari's courage. Even Yuzuki, who stood behind Kamari, saw the exchange. She smiled, proud of Kamari's bravery. Kamari's boldness surprised them all, especially since she never confronted her aunt and cousins about their schemes.

And as Eleena Kadake watched Kamari, she felt a cold fear in her heart—a fear that Kamari could destroy her carefully crafted plans. For in that moment, she realized that Kamari was not the innocent girl she used to know—a fact that filled her with dread.