4: Digging and Barfbag

I woke up from a loud horn. I sat up in my cot, it was still dark outside, why are up already?

"C'mon Dolly, get up for your first day of digging," Squid tiredly said, rubbing his eyes. "Waking up this early should be illegal," I stood up, grabbing my back pack. I quickly put on a white shirt with my orange jump suit. God this is hideous. Instead of zipping it up I decided to tie it around my waist like I saw Zigzag do yesterday, then I put my hair in two braids.

"You all ready, Dolly?" Zigzag smirked, "Stop calling me that," I rolled my eyes as I walked out of the tent. I could hear the boys laughing inside as I followed Zero out. Most of the boys gathered in a line in front of a shed or something, grabbing shovels while other boys were grabbing, a tortilla with something on it??? I stood in line to get a shovel, deciding to skip out on the wet tortillas. Once it was my turn, I grabbed a shovel then found my tent members and followed them to where we were gunna start digging.

"You are to dig one hole a day, 5 feet wide, 5 feet deep. Use your shovel to measure. Once you are done you can return to camp, and if you find anything tell Pendenski or myself," Mr. Sir explained, standing in front of me. I shoved my shovel into the dirt, stomping on it with my foot. "One down, a thousand more to go," Mr. Sir laughed as got in his truck and left.

I for what felt like hours, I was burning hot, my arms were tired and my hole was only half way dug. I was taking a break when a truck drove up to us. Everyone started getting out of their holes and walking towards the truck. I put my shovel down and tried to jump out of my hole, tho it too tall. I kept trying to jump up until someone held their hands in front of me. "Need some help, Doll?" Zigzag asked. I couldn't tell if he was making fun of me like the rest if the boys or if he actually wanted to help me, be either way I decided to accept it. "Thanks," I smiled as I grabbed his hands, Zigzag pulled me out of my hole. We walked up to the truck, everyone was filling up their waters.

Once I got my water I jumped back into my hole. I kept digging, but it was hard to focus due to constantly feeling someone staring at me. I turned around to see who it could be, but whenever I did everyone was either digging or talking. Except Zigzag, who looked like he was acting distracted, either itching his neck or playing with his shovel. Weird. But I couldn't think about it for long because I started hearing yelling. Barfbag was walking out of his hole and towards a rattlesnake. Everyone was yelling at him to stop, but he didn't listen. He stuck his foot out in front of the snake and let it bite him. He screamed in pain as Mr. Sir and Dr. Pendenski ran over to him. They yelled at everyone to return to camp.

The walk back from digging was long, but longer when you're tired and talking about your tent-mate who might die. Once we got to our tent I grabbed clothes from my backpack and a shower token to go take a shower.