Chapter 1

Red.

Red was all that I had seen with him. Red flags, red lights, red warning signs. I shouldn't have ignored them, I shouldn't of, but I did.

                           *              *                *

"Mom can you please stop" I command desperately.

I grab my hair away from my mother before she can brush it.

"Honey, I just want you to look good for your first day of college" My mother sighs.

"But that's tomorrow!" I wave my hands in the air.

My mother and I were very similar, we both had light brown eyes and wavy dark brown hair. We both were always preparing for whatever was to come to us.

"I want to go out with Grace today before we are both separated forever!" I plead.

My mom waves her hands dramatically in the air.

"Okay, okay fine but-"

I jump up and down excitedly. "Thank you!"

Before she can do anything about it I run straight into my room, not daring to look back. If I look back she'll probably be running after me with a brush.

As soon as I enter my room I strip off the sweatpants and t-shirt I was wearing then, fold them neatly into my draws. I go over to my closet and take out my favorite mini dress I owned. When I look at the red Calvin Klein dress I got from a friend, I smile. It really was from Ryan, my ex-boyfriend, but it was just the perfect shade of red I couldn't throw it away. I slip on the dress and neatly run my hands down the wrinkles.

"I like you better when you're wasted! I wanna-"

I quickly answer my phone before my parents could hear more of the song.

"I still don't understand why you would pick that song for your ringtone," I say into the phone.

"Because it's my favorite song! But when are you going to be here at Joe's!" Grace whines.

"In two seconds just let me-"

I apply one last coat of lip gloss on my lips making them look kissable. I massage both my lips together trying to apply the gloss evenly on both lips. Once, I'm done I smile at myself in the mirror and go back to the conversation I was having with Grace.

"Alright see you in five?" I answer.

"Yup see you girlie," She says high pitched.

I hang up the phone and grab my black leather, shoulder purse from my couch. I take one last glance at myself in the mirror and take in a deep breath. Trying to mentally prepare myself for the night that i was going to have out with Grace. Ever since last summer, she's changed and so have I.

"Honey" Someone says with a knock at my door.

I roll my eyes and turn to face my closed door.

"Yes," I say slowly.

"Are you leaving yet, because I'm going to need the car if you don't."

I laugh at the comment and open my door with a smile when I see my father.

"Dad you have about a billion cars in the garage" I smirk.

"I know just wanted to make you come out before I headed out," He says with a smile.

I loved my dad, he was the best person I knew, he always knew how to make me laugh or cheer me up. He was the best. It was too bad my mother and him weren't actually married. Don't get me wrong they love each other, and it's not like they can't afford to have a wedding with how successful they are. But, back then my dad wasn't really big on the idea of 'labels'. He certainly wasn't into the labels of husband and wife either. My mother didn't care though as long as he loved her and she loved him they were happy. It still made me wonder if they ever thought about getting married now though.