Chapter 4: Tangled Web

DogDay was on The Train for what seemed like hours, until it whirred to a stop by a sign that said, "The Gamestation". He felt a surge of excitement and relief, he was almost there. He pushed a button that opened The Train door and climbed out.

He found himself in a large warehouse, filled with what you'd usually see in a playground. He recognized it from his childhood, before he was turned into a Smiling Critter. He felt a pang of nostalgia and sadness, but he ignored it. He looked for the door that would take him to the main part of the factory.

He remembered Mommy Long Legs, she was a giant spider-like creature that was supposed to entertain the kids, but she always creeped him out. She had elastic limbs, a pink plastic body, and a smiling face with big green eyes. She also had a high-pitched voice that sounded like nails on a chalkboard.

He hoped that she wouldn't notice him, but he was out of luck. As soon as he approached the exit, he heard her voice.

"Hello, hello, hello! Welcome to the Gamestation, where the fun never ends!" She said, as she crawled towards him. "Who do we have here? A new friend? A new toy? A new snack?"

DogDay felt a chill down his spine. He tried to act casual and hoped that she wouldn't recognize him as a Smiling Critter.

"Hi, Mommy Long Legs," He said in a friendly tone. "I'm just passing through, don't mind me."

"Oh, but Mommy does mind, dearie," She said, as she reached him with her legs. "You see, Mommy's very lonely here, and she loves to play with new friends. Especially ones that look so cute and cuddly like you."

She lifted him up with one of her hands and brought him closer to her face.

"Let Mommy see, let Mommy see, what are you?" She said, as she examined him. "You have a doggy face, a doggy tail, and a doggy body. But you also have a smiley face, a smiley belly, and a smiley heart. You're a Smiling Critter, aren't you? How adorable!"

DogDay felt a surge of fear and disgust. He knew that she was trying to be friendly, but he also knew that she was delaying the mission.

He had to get away from her, and fast.

"Mommy Long Legs, please, put me down," DogDay said, trying to sound polite. "I really need to go; I have something important to do."

"Oh, but you can't go, dearie," Mommy said, as she hugged him tightly with both arms. "You're Mommy's new friend, and she wants to play with you. We can play Whack-a-Wuggy, or Statues, or Musical Memory. Or maybe we can play Hide and Seek. They're all very fun, you'll love them."

She smiled, and her pupils dilated.

DogDay felt a wave of panic, and could barely breathe in her arms. He had to escape, or he would die.

He kicked her legs and bit her arms, hoping to make her let go of him.

"Ow, ow, ow! That hurts, dearie, that hurts!" She said, as she dropped him. "Why are you being so mean? Mommy just wants to play with you."

DogDay didn't waste any time. He ran towards the door. He pushed the button next to it, and roller shutter started to open.

"Wait, wait, wait! Don't leave Mommy, dearie, don't leave Mommy!" She said, as she chased after him. "Come back, come back, come back! I need you; Mommy loves you, Mommy wants you!"

DogDay ignored her and quickly slid through the small opening the shutter had made. He felt a mix of relief and dread. He had escaped Mommy Long Legs, but he still had a long way to go. He still had to find Poppy.

At that moment, a pink elastic hand slid through the opening and pulled the roller shutter open.