OH, MR PORTER!

The train whistled as Cyril waved his flag, holding the carriage door open from the platform, as a business gentleman came slowly running down the platform towards him, out of breath and over-weight.

"Thank you, my good man," the gentleman said, putting a hand into his pocket "I don't know what I would have done had I missed this train. Really, I don't" reaching out to press coinage into Cyril's hand.

"Oh, no need for that, thank you Sir. Just doing me job" said Cyril graciously refusing the gratuity, then waved his flag again and blew his whistle while closing the door behind the passenger.

The train let out two sharp toots and the steam hissed, as the heavy load started to be pulled out of the platform, with Cyril keeping a watchful eye on the load, just in case of any stray doors or wayward children. You could never be too careful. You never knew what could happen.

Once the train of carriages had cleared the tracks, he checked his pocket watch and gave it a little wind, with his flag neatly rolled and under his arm.

He had just enough time for a morning cuppa at the station's café, rather than going upstairs to the staff canteen, and besides, he could see Bert on the other platform, so he gave him the signal and the nod.

He walked off the platform, past young Edward in the ticket booth who was looking as eager as ever despite no customers about. He'll learn, thought Cyril as he finger-brushed his bushy, greying moustache.

The door bell rang as he entered and Mavis looked up and waved from behind the counter.

"Usual me duck?" she said in her soft voice.

"Yes please, Mavis" said Cyril "just a quick one though."

"Ooh, saucy." She said, giggling, pouring out a cup of Rosie-Lee.

Cyril sat at his usual table, the one he had been sitting at for thirty years, as Mavis brought out the cup of steaming tea, settling it down with the teaspoon rattling.

He looked up and smiled at her, and she at him.

"Thank you, Mavis, much appreciated." He said with sincere appreciation in his twinkling old eyes.

"You know," he said, adding sugar to his cup and stirring "we've been doing this for over twenty years. Things are changing Mave. And fast."

"I know duck, I know." She sadly replied, walking back to the kitchen "I remember the day you started," she reminisced "seems like only yesterday. Where all those years gone?" she said looking up to the ceiling.

Cyril took some sips of his tea, leaving small beads on the end of his whiskers, only to be licked away in a moment surrounded by memories.

He was about to continue with the conversation when the doorbell rang and a fresh young-faced couple walked in, their long overcoats dampened by the gentle rain outside of the station, and took to seating at a table by the door.

The young gentleman came to the counter and ordered a coffee and poised, turning to his lady friend, saying "Tea or Coffee, Cassie?"

"Oh, Tea please, darling" while she checked her makeup and hair in her compact.

Cyril drained the rest of his cup and took it over to Mavis and placed
a sixpence on the surface.

"Keep the change." He said with a wink and a smile.

"Thank you, duck." Mavis said, gently laying her hand on top of his.

Cyril cleared his throat and turned, pulling his waistcoat down and adjusting his cap, giving it a tug as he passed the young couple as he left the café and onto the platform.