Level 9: Princess_User24

After Xalton took up the sweet professor's time, Psy and I arranged to share boardrooms through our campus app.

She complained about being alone in hers, and I figured someone else could help remove me from my introverted slumps.

I packed up my things, and she made room for me in a sizeable space that puts basic NYC apartments to shame. Psy has more things, and her place is in a better position than my old room. It'll also trip up a certain stalker of mine.

We had to go through Melanie, though, since I found out she's the board chairwoman.

I carry the last of my things and say goodbye. I'm still unsure what I need with a box of spare computer wires and upgrades, so I rest it on my side of our room. Psy and I hike toward the mess hall. I'm sure it will be anything but sloppy. I bet the food served on campus is to die for. Since I get paranoid in crowds, I haven't had the chance to indulge in them.

Having caught up from her phone call, Psy nudges me with her elbow. "Yo, babe. So, what was stopping you and Xalton from tearing each other's clothes off back there?" she brings up now that she has me trapped.

I cringe away from her knowing gaze and flirting brow raises. "Ah. Stop it." Covering my face, I race down the hall.

I admit I'm in a good mood after watching Zone get all worked up in real-time. The way his jaw muscles clench, the murderous rage in the depths of his eyes. That tight expression of restraint on his face when all he wants to do is strangle me—it's so soul-quenching.

Giggling in her jog, Psy catches up to me and yanks my bag strap. She hugs her stomach, whether from laughter or the mild exercise. "Listen. Hear me out. If this ends up being an enemies-to-lovers situation, can you promise you won't break poor Xalt's heart?"

"Ex-squeeze me?" I blurt out before thinking.

This is borderline treachery.

I massage my face. The overwhelming ache in them begging to be stopped. What makes her think he's even into me that way? He thinks I'm his plaything, and I barely mind it. It's not that I don't see myself with him long-term. I just don't see myself with anybody at this stage in my life. Even if he is the only man I'd want. Also, I'm half-certain he wants to kill me. Something about that gravitates me to that flame more than anything, and I don't know why. It may just be because it's a challenge.

"I'm not here for romances. I'm here for advances," I enunciate as she awaits my response.

Psy returns an odd look with her brow arched at me. "Eh. Couldn't hurt," she dismisses and hugs my arm like we're dating.

While promenading along the darkened halls, I have a content sigh. It's sweet being in Psyra's presence. She's warm and smells like a cherry blossom festival blew up. I'm usually prickly when it comes to other people, but she makes me feel like I'm a teddy bear prize she won at a carnival.

It's hard for me to admit, but I've never had a friendship I've looked forward to before, even if I'm sort of using her to get dirt on Xalton.

Psy sucks her teeth. "His last relationship... well. It's not my place to say, but it didn't end as he imagined."

I scoff. "What many do?"

Melting in the moment, we're surrounded by gorgeous ruby glass windows in honeycomb shapes of our stroll.

Entering the cafeteria feels like entering the gates of a Valhalla hub. The mosaic-styled ceiling soars overhead too high, and with little details carved into it, I might hurt my neck.

Psyra smiles at my face gluing to it, and she has to pull me further inside before I fall backward.

There aren't a lot of students eating at this hour—some are here just to study in an open space that isn't as deafeningly quiet as a library. The echoes of feet clapping along and simmering dishes from random cultures take up the space.