First Step

Summer pov.

As evening fell, Manny pushed some trees out of the way with his trunk. Sid pulled a twig from a trunk and fell over. As Manny picks up another log, he sees Ellie playing with Crash and Eddie.

"Ellie! Ellie! Me too!", exclaimed Eddie and Crash.

"She's not half bad.", commented Diego. Manny turns to look at him and swings the log. Diego and Summer ducks but Sid gets hit. "Crazy and confused but sweet."

"So?", questioned Manny as he turned around swinging the log and again hitting Sid.

"So what's holding you back?", asked Diego and I gave him the look that said 'you know what'.

Manny puts the log and sadly looks in the distance. "My family.". He then goes to pick up another log when Sid pops out.

"You can have that again you know.", stated Sid. 'He is kinda right' I thought.

"No, Sid, I can't.", explained Manny. He swings the log, causing Sid to cling to it as if his life depended on it.

"Okay, okay!", yelped Sid. "But, but, think about it. I mean if you let this chance go, you're letting your whole species go and that's just... that's just... selfish!"

Manny glares and swings the log, causing Sid to scream. The log lands with Sid inside a hole in it with his legs in the air.

"I think I'm starting to get through to him.", stated Sid.

"Sid is right.", I stated as I walked between Manny and Diego.

"That I'm selfish?", asked Manny.

"No.", I chuckled. "About that, you can have a family again."

"I wouldn't. It hurts too much.", stated sadly Manny. I then decided to do what my mom said to me. I punched him with all my might. "Ow! What was that for?!"

"Who cares?", I started and both males gave me weird looks. "It's in the past. Forget it.", I explained cheerfully.

"But that hurt.", stated Manny.

"Yeah. Past hurts. But you have to let it go to have a brighter future.", I explained. Manny looked at me as if waiting for me to continue. "And I made it step by step. The first one is called 'Ellie'".

As I finished, Manny glanced at Ellie who was still playing with Crash and Eddie.

"Oh, wait. I gotcha!", exclaimed Ellie as Manny started walking towards her.

"Good job.", praised Sid. I, Diego, and Sid walked ahead.

Manny's pov.

"Slowpoke!", teased Crash and Eddie, referring to Ellie who was stuck between two logs. I walked near her.

"Need help?", I asked her.

"No, no! Just catching my breath.", tried to assure Ellie but failed, obviously.

"You're stuck.", I stated.

"No, I'm not.", argued Ellie.

"Alright. Then let's go.", I said and started to walk away.

"I can't.", hummed Ellie, causing me to smirk. "I'm stuck."

I turned around to look at her. I picked up the log. "Don't you think that picking them up like this would be easier?", I said as I swung the log to the trees.

Ellie glanced at it widened her eyes and started walking towards it. I glanced back and my eyes met with Summer's ocean blue eyes. She gave me a small smile and gestured for me to follow Ellie, which I did.