Chapter 13

The ballroom at the Ambreas' house, although finely and richly decorated, was disappointing compared to Eneas'. It was much smaller, the dancing area was not very spacious and the rest of the crowd was crowded around the tables on the sides of the room.

The mansions of the prince and the general were undoubtedly magnificent and stately, but the other eight noble houses in Cavintosh had somewhat more reasonable dwellings. Unlike at the last party, at which my engagement was announced, the aristocrats were not so emperorized. I was inclined to think that recent events had decimated their eagerness to celebrate, but since, in theory, this was a joyous occasion, they were not going to let that stop them.

It had felt strange to see my name on the invitation, and even stranger to be at a party without Clariess clinging to my arm, limp at my side. I kept looking for her with my eyes, and twisted my face every time I came across her next to the swaggering Ozgur Guntheron. In order to match her as soon as possible, her parents had decided to accept one of the many requests for escorts I had received. And since Guntheron was the most attractive matchmaker at the Cavintosh court, they felt it was the option that would please her the most. They hadn't bothered to find out that the very idea disgusted her, but there she was, smiling like an angel among the swirling crowd. Ozgur, however, looked bored.

"Don't make that face," Eneas scolded me. "And straighten up a little, please."

I didn't answer him, I just squared my shoulders and stood up straight.

"Thank you."

"What face was he making exactly? So as not to repeat it again."

The prince gave me a sidelong glance, as if determining the sincerity of my good will.

"The face you would make if you wanted to bury this room in glass."

The idea was tempting, but for the moment it wasn't being too unpleasant. I quite liked the music, and so far the biggest torment had been having to greet a few overweight senior members of the insurgent army and their illustrious families. Some of them acted a bit fearful around me, which, truth be told, gave me a perverse tingle.

"I wouldn't dream of it, your highness."

Even if I could think of it, I wouldn't be able to. My magic still wasn't doing what I wanted it to, and for the nearly three weeks I had been training with it, Scilla had been unable to remedy that.

"Good. In that case, change that expression. It's time for us to go talk to the hosts. "

I grimaced, but did not complain. I placed, as usual, my hand behind Eneas' elbow and we went to look for the Ambreas.

Lady Ambreas had probably been very beautiful in her youth, with her elegant bearing and those expressive eyes, but now she looked like the kind of woman who tried hard to pretend she was not aging. Her husband was Major Ambreas, but the paunch that showed under his suit suggested that he hadn't picked up a gun in a long time.

"Your Highness," the latter greeted gravely. He had no smile wrinkles, so I suspected that he didn't usually have too many smiles. "Our most sincere congratulations on your engagement."

"Thank you, Lord Ambreas," Eneas replied before giving me a meaningful look. Noticing this, I straightened up even more and smiled.

"A lovely party, Lord Ambreas."

"Thank you, Lady Persie," said Lady Ambreas, looking at us warmly. "You make a splendid couple."

"You are very kind."

Apparently, it was going to be torture.

"When is the wedding?"

I braced myself for an awkward response, but instead Eneas replied without hesitation: