"If this is one of your jokes, stop."

"It's not! I've also been told that... if you need anything... I have to help you."

That let me know she was serious. Fern would never say that if it wasn't really an order from the Aursong. Still hesitating, I took the dress. It was very soft, I wasn't used to my clothes being like that.

"Do you need anything?" grunted the woman once I had taken everything.

"No..."

"All right. By the way: congratulations, Persie. It looks like the Aursongs have finally decided to adopt you."

I didn't expect those words to hurt me so much. I repressed all the retorts I had in store for her and closed the door. No, I didn't need to be reminded that I didn't have a family.

Although it was quite a challenge, I managed to put on that dress by myself and stand in those shoes. I hung the heavy jewelry around my neck and ears and brushed my hair, which fell neat and wavy over my shoulders.

When I looked down at the surface of my bowl, my eyes looked back at me with surprise. I had never considered myself an ugly girl, you could say I was attractive, but the truth was... I was quite pretty. My appearance was elegant, beautiful even. The earrings glittered on either side of my sharp face, and the dress fitted my body until it fell straight down to my feet. It was simple, but I had never worn anything so beautiful. I smiled helplessly and arched my back. It was a reprehensible attitude for an insurrectionist, but I adored all those luxuries that had never been within my reach. However, the fact that the Aursong had given me all that made me think: was it possible that, for once, they wanted to pretend that I was their adopted daughter? The truth was that I didn't feel like giving them that satisfaction, but something told me that there was a lot at stake that night.

When the time came, I went out into the hallway to meet the Aursongs. Some of the servants passing by stared at me in amazement, and I stared at the floor in astonishment. I stared at the floor in bewilderment. Did I really look that different? Walking like that, I didn't notice Rodion crossing my path until I bumped into him.

There was a moment of awkward silence in which he stared at me in disbelief, and I tucked a lock of hair behind my ear. He, on the other hand, was dressed in a dark green coat with an elegant handkerchief and a luxurious golden scabbard on his belt. His hair was neatly slicked back, which, to tell the truth, suited him quite well. He looked very handsome, and I was sure I was blushing.

"Wow, Persie," he muttered before clearing his throat. "You're... I mean..."

"Thank you."

"Where did you get that dress?"

"Certainly not from my salary," I said. "It was your parents' doing. They made them give me all this stuff to wear to the ball."

Rodion raised his eyebrows and cleared his throat again before saying:

"You look gorgeous, Persie."

I smiled, although the comment reminded me of Lokih.

"You look pretty impressive yourself. You'll have to get rid of the marriageable women," I added as I smoothed the lapels of his jacket. Actually, he had to. He wasn't the most eligible bachelor after Eneas for nothing.

"Persie," he said quietly, taking my hand in his, much more seriously, "I've been busy lately, but if I hadn't been busy I would have told you this much sooner: I'm sorry for what I said that night. I was an idiot."

"Maybe I shouldn't have gotten so upset. It wasn't your fault."

"No, you were right. I should have worried more. I'll talk to my dad tonight, I promise. I just... I can't stand us being like this. Let's work things out."